Snail id please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dralarms

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've got some of these, came in on my lr and can't find them anywhere to id. TIA

snail_003.jpg

Different angle, Might even be a different snail. :roll:

snail_006.jpg

imo i dont think that they would do any damage to your pods if thats what your worried about !! most i would think would have enough left over food to go after than chasing something down ya know !! mabe someone else will chime in but imo no worries

Looks like nassarius.

From liveaquaria.com . . The Nassarius snail is a small scavenger with an oval spiral shell that resembles an olive pit, with a long tube like siphon that protrudes from the end of the shell. One of the most ideal scavenger and detritus eater these snails are perfect for the reef aquarium, quickly consuming detritus, uneaten food, decaying organics, and fish waste. Nassarius Snails like to bury themselves in the sand, which will help maintain adequate oxygen levels in the substrate.
The Nassarius Snail prefers an established aquarium with live rock and a deep sand bed. These snails are sensitive to high nitrate levels and copper-based medications.

Looks like nassarius.

From liveaquaria.com . . The Nassarius snail is a small scavenger with an oval spiral shell that resembles an olive pit, with a long tube like siphon that protrudes from the end of the shell. One of the most ideal scavenger and detritus eater these snails are perfect for the reef aquarium, quickly consuming detritus, uneaten food, decaying organics, and fish waste. Nassarius Snails like to bury themselves in the sand, which will help maintain adequate oxygen levels in the substrate.
The Nassarius Snail prefers an established aquarium with live rock and a deep sand bed. These snails are sensitive to high nitrate levels and copper-based medications.

Glad to see that, I've been counting and there is about 20 of the little buggers. I sure didn't want to have to find all their little hiding places. :roll:

i never see mine on the rock but when i feed they rise out of the sand.

Maybe their trying to "clean up " my rock. lol. Well at least I don't need to get rid of them. :D

Ok will they eat anything alive? I was convinced that I wanted them in my tank, is this not the case?

You're fine. They're great scavengers. As Kevin said , they eat road kill, not live stuff. Just what's left over from feedings or stuff that has already died.

I want them. I just wanted to make sure they wern't gonna kill any thing. My wife bought a royal somthing (purple and yellow). And my hatian Anemone ate it. Boy is she mad at me. :roll: (Stupid fish should have stayed away from it)

Yea, that's what it was. I figured it was smart enought to stay away from the anemone's but I guess not. :roll:

hummm i have 3 and one lives inches from my pink tip but with the clown host no one can get to close

I had snails similar to that that came with my liverocks.com order and I originally thought they were nassarius but they were not. They were on my rock all the time and never went in the sand. Most of my nassarius that I bought live in the sand. Only time youe see them is when I feed and they pop up :)

I did actually witness one of these hithhiker snails attempting to kill one of the nassarius snails. They are predatory snails. I have since removed most of them.

Just an FYI.

I posted pics in another thread.

If they spend most of their time in the sand, you should be fine. At least that is what I was told. Mine were always on the LR and never buried themselves in the sand.

Back
Top Bottom