Snail id please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have spotted something on my LR. It looks like a snail, but a very flat and has a small shell. Is about 1 cm long. It seems to graze the LR like the other snails. Does anyone know what it is? Is it harmful?

I agree with the I.D. FYI, I started out with 2 or 3 of them several months back and now have a few hundred. They spawn like crazy!!

Should I be worry about its growth? A few is good for the tank, but hundreds?

Should I be worry about its growth? A few is good for the tank, but hundreds?

Well, you know, I have thought about this and this is what I have come up with. They don't get very large from IME. They also blend right into the rock so they are hard to see. They eat algae which is a plus and don't harm anything else. They also don't appear to have a long lifespan. I say a few dead small ones yesterday. The hermits were having a field day. They also lay their eggs just above the water line. They look like little brown "sacks" that are about 1mm in length of shorter. You could easily remove the eggs every time you see them to help control them.

I am not too worried with them. I may have overexaggerated when I said hundreds. Perhaps dozens was a more accurate term. :oops:

Biggen, if you want to get rid of some of them, I would be more than happy to take them off your hands ;)

Biggen, if you want to get rid of some of them, I would be more than happy to take them off your hands

:D

Even with the amount I have, they are hard to spot at times. The little buggers blend right into the rock.

Yes, sometimes it is so difficult to spot him. A couple of days ago I saw him standing upright and squirt some brownish/greyish powdery stuff several times into the water. That must have been eggs. Once done, he retreated back into the rocks. Now, I just have to wait and see how many will hatch.

Back
Top Bottom