Snail Killer, what is this thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been diving for the last nine years or so and have seen first hand what a cone snail can do. My dive partner in Cozumel got too close to one that was hunting and disturbed it, it shot out it's posionous proboscis and it hit his arm, I got him back to the surface, but he was havin seizures and shaking, we got him to the hospital and he's ok now, but those things terrify me to this day, be very very careful

Sound horrible. my god. I plan on removing it after the tank is empty of everything but sand and I'll be using a net. lol this thing scares me

You know, they should have warned you !!!! My LFS always gives me the heads up b4 I buy something (and knowing clumsy me, I better stay FAR AWAY from ANYTHING REMOTELY poisonous LOL). Good luck, hope we won't see you on "I shouldn't be alive" on animal planet

LOl Thanks. I'll post real good photos when I catch him. Has a beautiful shell too bad he's a monster

LOL You didnt see this thing eat that snail. Dude, it was brutal. he actually dragged the running away snail off the glass and ate him in like 4 seconds.

carey said:
LOL You didnt see this thing eat that snail. Dude, it was brutal. he actually dragged the running away snail off the glass and ate him in like 4 seconds.

Yeah... I'd have to put my money on the Snail from He**

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

LOL I dont have one snail or hermit crab on the sandbed. I think they know they are being hunted. I can see where he is too, his big breather thing is above the sand.

I'm sitting here waiting for my 55g sw tank to be delivered. then i can start moving the corals and stuff. This thing also just plows through all my frags and over my large corals. Not too sure if he will go after them.

I'd take it out now if I had someplace to put it. my b/f said just throw it over the backyard fence lol. Even though he is scary I don't wanna kill it or harm it. Bad karma

I'm pretty sure the LFS wouldn't have thought it was as dangerous as it is. But in a way, that makes them selling it even worse.

In a way it's just going to happen with this hobby... Whether it's getting something 'extra' in your freshwater feeder fish (as happened to me) or a complete mistake of marine I.D. like this one.

please be careful. Rinse hard any plastic bowls you might have and try to enclose it in those rather than using a net or anything like that. If it's capable of shooting something, it could go through a net.

carey said:
I'd take it out now if I had someplace to put it. my b/f said just throw it over the backyard fence lol. Even though he is scary I don't wanna kill it or harm it. Bad karma

Lol. Even if it is bad, it's not evil. It's probably just misunderstood, like Blaise, the demon in the book I'm writing. But yeah, I wouldn't want to kill it either.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

Nooo, don't kill it! Everything has a right to live!
Catch it and put it in a bucket or something. When r u planning on going to the LFS?
maybe someone on craigslist wants it LOL

Oh I hadnt thought of it going through the net. ahh another thing to consider when I finally get the tank emptied.

I hope this new 55g can be up and running real soon. I worry my clowns will get too close to it.

continued thanks everyone for your input :)

I was just looking at my tank and it hit me. i have ALOT of snail and hermit shells with big holes in them. Do you think the killer snail is responsible? It never occurred to me until just now....

I have maybe 6 or 8 cuc left out of 30. he's costing me money lol. I have empty shells littering the sandbed literally. i almost wanna keep in in a jar or something.

I have my corals just everywhere for now since I had to break my tank down the other day. I refuse to put my hand anywhere near the sandbed now. Moving everything out is gonna be scary, hopefully I get him right away.

heres another thought, dont some snails breed by themselves? Could I possibly have baby ones snailing around ?

Back
Top Bottom