Snail Killer, what is this thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi. Bought a snail for algae on recommendation from LFS. It's hu8ge and lives under the sand. I caught a pciture today as it was cruising the sandbed. I actually saw it come up on a large snail and eat it!!! I've been missing snails but I just thought it was the hermits.

after he engulfed it with his body he was snailing along with a huge lump in his back end, like a snake after he's eaten.

please help. i am totally grossed out and amazed at the same time.

Attachments

• DSCN0176.jpg
    DSCN0176.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 237
  • DSCN0177.jpg
    DSCN0177.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 233
Anybody else? I'm curious to know cause I am moving my 29g into a 55g and if this guy is gonna keep eating my snails I'm not gonna move him and will return him.

Thanks

That thing is a beast!! Wow I would like to keep it just for fun. Just to Give it some feeders or something. How did it eat it?

LOL. Well I cant have that. My poor cuc is being slowly killed off.

Any one seen one of these before? I got some pretty good pics of it I thought.

It does have a shell. When I bought it for $5 the guy told me what it was but it def wasn't conch. But that's only according to him. I'll go google the fighting conch and see if thats him.

Thanks!

Nope thats for sure not it. The picture I posted kinda shows the shells design, its smooth and almost an oval shape. If you click on the pic I posted it should enlarge even more for better detail.

Thanks for the link! Now we know for sure what it isnt. LOL. Maybe when I fully swap tanks I'll bring it back and ask the guy. I'm not happy with it in my tank. I still don't believe he just ate that snail in like 3 seconds in the middle of daylight with all the lights blaring. It's scary kinda

The first pic said error when I tried to enlarge it. It happens sometimes on my iPod when the pic shows in the post. The second was hard to see, but I think that's just my sucky eyesight. I'm glad that I was able to help.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

That link looks like what I have. Why would an LFS even have these things? OK so now I gotta wait til I break down my tank in a week or two to get at him.

Thank you very much for that link, I don't know how you guessed it was what I had.

No problem. It just came to me. I've read about them and you see them a lot in those nature documentaries that sensationalize everything. KILLER SNAILS SWARM BEACH: ONE DEAD. or something along those lines.

eewww I cant wait to get him outta the tank. I'll have to drive an hour each way to bring it back too. Thats like $10 in gas over this silly killer. grrr...

Nope, I have a fighting conch and it's very docile. And the shell looks nothing like that,that......THING! Carey, if I were you, I would get rid of that beast any way! If you saw it kill part of your CUC then, buh bye!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

I spotted the dreaded creature again, he is hiding underneath the sand in the front of the tank where the snails are on the glass. I think he's waiting for them to come down. I am NOT moving him to the 55g. I wanna get a whole new cuc for that tank since my 30 member crew is down to maybe 10.

Wow, part of wiki said the following about your monster:
" They are all venomous to one degree or another. The most dangerous species hunt fish using harpoon-like teeth and a poison gland. Others hunt and eat marine worms or mollusks."

What is it with you and finding crapy LFS lol can't believe they sold you that thing at all !!!!!

Back
Top Bottom