Snail like thing???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

divemasterjim

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I have 2 of these and no clue what they are they move like snails but have a domed shell sorry about the bad pictures best I could do.

Yep thats what it is here is some info I found about it

Primitive mollusc with a conical shell resembling that of the common limpet.

Classification
Keyhole limpets are of the superfamily Fissurellacea in subclass Prosobranchia, class Gastropoda, phylum Mollusca.

Despite a very similar shell, which permits them to strongly resist wave attack on exposed rocks, the keyhole limpets differ internally and externally from their cousins, the true limpets, or Patellacea. In both cases, a flattened foot acts like a strong suction disk, which adheres them to rock surfaces. Both move about in search of food, drawing in water around the foot, and they live either as scrapers of small detritus or as herbivores. In fissurellas, the volcano top is the exit port for waste products, rather than a mantle opening below the shell, as in the patellas. The internal organs of keyhole limpets are also modified to permit an exit channel through the body for waste products leaving at the top.

Description 5/8-1 3/4" (1.6-4.4 cm) long. Moderately high, with a long dumbbell-shaped hole slightly in front of the centrally located apex; base broadly oval. Exterior whitish to gray, with many rough, radial ribs; every fourth rib larger. Interior white, with a truncate callus and deep pit behind it.

Habitat On and among rocks, intertidally to water 90' (27 m) deep.

Range Maryland to southern Florida and Brazil.

Discussion The Cayenne Keyhole Limpet is our most common representative of genus Diodora. It was formerly known as D. alternata. The elongate 2-lobed or dumbbell-shaped hole found in many species of Diodora is the source of the name "keyhole limpet." The related Lister's Keyhole Limpet (D. listeri), same size, has coarser sculpture of alternating large and small radial ribs, crossed by strong concentric ridges, forming squarish pits. Its color is sharper, whitish or gray, often with black markings, and it is found from southern Florida to Brazil.

Back
Top Bottom