Snails and amphipods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WickedXb

Aquarium Advice Regular
Are baby snails born with their shells? Cause i got real tiny snails .And I think I have amphipods swimming around at night. Too tiny to take a pic. Plus I found a snAil with out a shell going up and down the glass. Hitch hikers?

If they are tiny white snails, look up colonista snails. Pretty common hitchhiker and completely harmless. They normally come out at night in droves to eat the algae on your glass.

That's it. I only see them after lights out. Plus the slug thing and the amphipods.

WickedXb said:
Are baby snails born with their shells? Cause i got real tiny snails .And I think I have amphipods swimming around at night. Too tiny to take a pic. Plus I found a snAil with out a shell going up and down the glass. Hitch hikers?

And yes, baby snails are born with their shells. They use calcium from the water to build them and make them bigger as they grow. Their shell is part of them. Look up stomatella snail, they're common hitchhikers.

Update. All the baby Astraea snails are in my refugium. Must have hitched a ride in the over flow. Now I found a three legged starfish.

Back
Top Bottom