Snails and Crabs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wahoo_drew

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can anybody ID these pics I have

ok i dont know how to post more then one pic at a time so I ll just reply

I believe that the first is a cerith snail and the second is a nassarius snail... hopefully someone else can confirm.

I have no idea on the crab... but those pointed claws don't speak well for him.

Are the snails good? So far the carb hasnt done anything bad he seems to filter feed and eat algae

Cerith and nassarius snails are great snails to have. The ceriths are good algae (including diatoms) and detritus eaters that forage rock, glass, and sand. Nassarius snails mostly stay on the sandbed foraging for detritus.

Just keep an eye on your crab and watch him for evil behavior. :twisted:

The crab looks like a porcelain crab to me, I think I can even see it's feeding fans in the pic, if it is a porcelain crab...it's harmless and a filterfeeder, the claws are for show. I agree with the nassarius ID, the first could be a cerrith, but seems a bit off to me, probably just my eyes going bad, though ;)

I googled for cerith and thats not what they really look like they have a very rough shell not the smooth shell I saw in pics

The crab almost looks like an emerald, but the claws do look a little different. Just keep an eye on him. Mine has been harmless.

I agree with the others on the snails. I figure any are good.

Back
Top Bottom