Soft coral or anenome help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bsu20r6

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I hope this hasn't been answered here 1000x but I didn't know how to search to see if it had. I would like to get an identification on the blue anenome or soft coral that is pictured on the home page of aquacave?

Thank you.

yep. that's what it is. google "tunicate images".
i used to have one, but a power outage killed it.
here was mine-
img_1195532_0_5333a2faab77724edd2549cdebdde8e2.jpg

Wow that's impressive Doug. Nice looking specimen. Are they hardy? What was the factor of the power outage that killed it?

Wow that's impressive Doug. Nice looking specimen. Are they hardy? What was the factor of the power outage that killed it?
no. they are not hardy. IMO, they should be left in the ocean. they filter feed, so they need a constant supply of food in the water column, which would easily foul a closed system.
the power outage killed almost every fish minus a maroon clown and an algae blenny. i wasn't home at the time, but 6" tangs laid on the sand bed for some time and the water turned bad fast. not to mention it was in the winter, and the heat was off for 24 hours, so the water temp dropped dramatically.

i wouldn't have purchased it. it was on a stock list labeled "blue pineapple soft coral", and i was curious about it. they couldn't give me any more information over the phone, so i took a shot with it...

Wow, that sucks about the power outage.. :( But yeah, i hear tunicates aren't exactly hardy, just thought maybe yours was. Well, thanks for the info anyways.

Back
Top Bottom