Some Growing on my Rocks and Glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lanej20

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have something growing in my tank and Im not sure what it is. I dont have live rock and my tank is still cycling. Recently there has been brown spots on my rocks and glass. It looks like some kind of bateria or something. It can be wiped off easily but I just wanted to see if anyone knew what it is. I am a beginner so if this is a simple question Im sorry. Thanks.

Sounds like diatoms to me. It is dusty like, right? You will see them during cycling and they will go away in awhile.

Yea it is. Thanks. At what point would you say that puts me in the cycle? I tested the water today and the amonia is almost gone but my nitrites and nitrates are still pretty high?

Sounds like you are very much into the cycle but still a way to go. About halfway. When you have 0 ammonia and nitrites then do a good size PWC (30%) and you should be ready.

Ok thanks at lot. I just have one more question. I will be moving in 2 months and I was wondering if you knew anything about transporting the rock and aquarium parts to insure that the bateria servive. When I get moved I am going to add live rock to the tank and eventually get new fish. Will the tank have to cycle again or will the bacteria survive?

You`ll need to keep the LR in a cooler with your tankwater over it. How long will they be out of the tank? You might experience a small cycle.

I have moved my tank several times and if you plan well, you will have little to no cycle at all... Purchase good rubbermaid or equivalent storage bins and transfer the rockwork and water into them making sure to cover the rock completely. Then, place a powerhead in the bins and turn them on to keep the water circulating. Have a small one on hand to store the fish in if any, and get a battery operated air pump with airstone. Then, clean out the tank if you choose and pack it up and move it. Best thing to do is make the tank the first thing to move and setup in the new place.

Good luck.

How long will it take for the diatoms to disapear from my tank? They are really starting to spread!

Ok. Thanks a lot. I was getting kinda worried because it seems like they are taking over!

Back
Top Bottom