Some macro algae IDs please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

r312h

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was just curious if any of these things are desirable in the home aquarium, or should I start removing all of them asap. I use ro/di water, and rinse all frozen foods (feed 1/4 cube every other day), nitrates at 5ppm, not sure what else may be causing this algae. I only have about 15 snails in the 55, and running a octopus skimmer at the moment. Thanks for any help on figuring out what these things are.

2eczq5e_th.jpg

keues1_th.jpg

2hx6np2_th.jpg

This one has 2 different things in it..thought i read it may be mermaid's wine glass and neomeris?

b7b21v_th.jpg

Thanks for any help id'ing these things.

Attachments

• DSC01310 (Small).jpg
    DSC01310 (Small).jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC01309 (Small).jpg
    DSC01309 (Small).jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC01308 (Small).jpg
    DSC01308 (Small).jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC01307 (Small).jpg
    DSC01307 (Small).jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 64
Sorry pictures are so small, I'll edit them when I get home from work, probably make it easier to see what I'm asking about. Thanks.

1st 2 look like hair algae, can't tell on the 3rd, but possibly valonia, the last is neomeris annulata (Caterpillar Weed) and acetabularia crenulata (Mermaids wineglass).

Caterpillar is on the left, very hard to get rid of. The green is not tasty to any critter that I know of. They thrive in calcareous tanks.

Sorry, just saw ccCapt's response about neomeris. Thanks guys. Should I try plucking everything off the rocks? or is any of that macro desirable?

They tend to thrive when there is excess nutrient in the water. The hair should be taken care of through PWCs and less lighting/feeding.
The other macros will also depend on water nutrient. The neomeris is tough to get rid of.

Back
Top Bottom