Some type of sponge or the beginning of nuisance algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquariumguy3

Aquarium Advice Newbie
first off welcome i visit this forum frequently but i usually just browse, my tank finished cyling about a week ago did a fishless cycle my water parameters are below i use ro/di water and my tds meter says 0 theres no fish in the tank so cant be overfeeding has 90 lbs of lr in a 75G tank i dunno if this is the beginning of hair algae or maybe some type of sponge

ph 8.1
Ammonia 0.0
nitrite 0.0
nitrate below 5 its bright yellow on my api test so i say its probably 0

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Definitely could be the beginnings of a cyano bloom. Best bet is to keep your lights off for a while since you do not have any fish in there and do some water changes to remove the excess organics. Cyano and Algae feed off excess nutrients in the water column and cycling adds a TON.

well im glad i caught it early i actually started off with tap water when i first started and i just recently got an rodi and tds meter i got a phosphate kit my readings are 1.0 i believe so im going to run a phosphate sponge and do a big water change to get my phosphates down hopefully i can getg a hold of it before it takes over my tank

oh also its just little spots here and there on 1 or 2 pieces of rock im so glad i caught it in time this type of thing can really ruin your tank quickly thanks for the help guys

Back
Top Bottom