Someone identify the bug on my yellow tang?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

birman

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've just recently added a DSB to my 3 months old tank. All seems well and I can see worm-like creatures tunnelling in the DSB. However, I just noticed a little bug "hooked" on 1 of my yellow tang. Can anyone assist to identify this "stow-away"? Is this harmful to my yellow tang?

ytangbug.jpg

I have no idea as I am not familiar with the saltwater fish or even bugs...
I just saw this post and wanted to comment on how beautiful your yellow tang is.
I would love to go salt water, but I have heard mixed feelings on the subject...
Some say too expensive and too much work to up keep and others say quite the opposite.... go figure.
Nice fish though!! :mrgreen:

This is what I have in my tank....does it look the same? and are they harmful?

Hi, timbo2. I don't think the one in my tank looks
similar.
The thing is when I woke up this morning and check on
the yellow tang, the "fellow" was gone. I checked all
my fishes and all seems fine.
Is it possible for such creature to burrow into the
fish and not visible to us anymore? :(
Anyway to get rid of this nasty guys besides using
baits :?:
This fellow is very small. I attached a zoom in pic.

timbo2 said:
This is what I have in my tank....does it look the same? and are they harmful?

If it looks similar to this, then yes they can be harmful and should be "removed".

Cheers
Steve

Hi, Steve
Does this isopod detach itself from the prey and move around or constantly feed on the one it "hooks" to the prey till its death?
I can't really see clearly the "bug" on my fish as it disappears this morning. Not found on other fishes too.
Anyway to remove them other than baiting?

Yes they will come and go from the fish. They are near impossible to catch when unattached to a fish host. Best way to get rid of them is to net the fish.

The artcile Reeflady has linked to by Kieth Clarke and Ron Shimek will tell you everything you need to know.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom