Something BAD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VinnyP

Aquarium Advice Activist
this just recently popped up and am wondering if its anything to worry about. I have had the tank for a little over a week now the tank is cycled and i have done all my testing almost everyday and everything is good I just put in two small damsels and they seem great and are eating fine. I have a 16 gal. tank with about 10lbs of live rock. Please let me know if u know what this is, if its normal or something to worry about

the green/brown stuff is at the bottom of the one tube and on the filter edge right at the end when the water comes out

Attachments

• mail.google.com.jpg
    mail.google.com.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 115
  • mail.google.com2.jpg
    mail.google.com2.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 122
Looks like diatom bloom to me. Completely normal in a new tank. Also, if you have had the tank for a week and it is a new tank, it most likely is not cycled. What are your parameters exactly?

both nitrate and nitrite are at zero and ammonia are at zero pH is 7.5-8
and my KH is 12-18

I was told my live rock would work for that, my ammonia was up and now has been at zero since Sunday, also nitrite and nitrate showing zero

I thought the same exact thing when I started out three months ago(tank is still cycling) I thought that I was done cycling in just 2 weeks. But the catch was you probably don't have that much of an ammonia source. I went to the LFS and they said I should add a damsel or two to get a ammonia source started. Try that and then you should have a ammonia spike, which leads to nitrite spike and then nitrates and then finally you have a algae bloom which are good signs that you tank is cycling. Yeah

Back
Top Bottom