Something is spreading!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwingo01

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Some little flat worm like creatures are spreading in my reef tank. The pic shows them individually on the black goose neck sump return. What are they and are they harmful? aquarium photo.jpg

I'll take a another picture. I've never seen anything like this. They exists as individuals or appear to connect to each other via a filmy "web". They wave in the current like an algae but I think they are an animal. Nothing seems to eat them(fish, crabs, snails, etc...) Thanks for the quick reply! Charging my camera now...

Redish, flat and lots of them? My guess is you have flat worms, from what I can see in the pic that is what it looks like to me.

Flatworm Exit is a good product and worked well for me when I had an issue with them.

If they are indeed flatworms you are going to want to siphon as many out as you can in your next PWC before using anything to kill them off. When they die they release a toxin that can be harmful to your tank. Make sure to follow the directions on the package. Have a look at this link, it may help you out.

another picture

I think you might be right Ziggy. I'll look at the link. Here is another picture. It is going to close to impossible to suction them out. I have a 300 gal tank that is 3 ft deep. Thanks for your help!aqua1.jpg

If they are flatworms, suck out what you can. When they die, the toxins they release can be murderous, especially with that level of an infestation.

Siphon as much of them out as you can. I would suggest doing this a couple of times over the next couple of days before using flatworm exit. When I had an outbreak of them I was able to get a good bit of them out by siphon and then using flatworm exit a couple of times I was able to rid my system of them completely.

Back
Top Bottom