spider web appearation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redchick2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I noticed this "fluff" today. It reminds me of the web worms that attack pecan trees, or spider webbing. Any ideas?

Attachments

• DSCF0564.jpg
    DSCF0564.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 118
  • DSCF0565.jpg
    DSCF0565.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 103
Pictures don't allways show the "true picture". I noticed I have a bunch of the "lil tube type worms that spit out webbing to "fish" for supper. It really looks like a massive pile of the worm stuff. Maybe they all spit some out at once?

Yeah... you're describing the webs from vermitid snails. Those are cool too. But that stuff normally dissolves and breaks up in the water, or gets pulled back into the snail. I think you'll find this stuff stays, and slowly gets larger and spreads. I have stuff like what's in your picture that seems to find a home in the more secluded areas of the tank where there's not a lot of flow. It comes and goes... I'm assuming based upon the excess nutrients in the tank.

But as your signature line mentions... I'm positive it's a sponge, but not 100% sure!

Here is some more of it on another rock, it does seem to be thickening and growing, but still looks like webbing (or mold) to me. I've also noticed that the maroon, velvety algae beside it is growing nodes. I hope this isn't bad stuff, cuz I love the color and texture.

Attachments

• DSCF0598.jpg
    DSCF0598.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCF0603.jpg
    DSCF0603.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 96
Is that maroon velvety stuff hard to the touch? Or is it slimy and easily scrubbed off with a toothbrush?

If it's hard, then it's coralline algae and is a good thing. If it's soft and slimy, then it's cyanobacteria which is something you don't want. While I can't tell for sure from the picture, I'm leaning towards coralline algae... but do give it the toothbrush test!

I have a whitish spider web like substance on my live rock. It is in cocoon like clusters in different parts of the tank. You can see through it. I touched it and it is slimy. It seems to have cone like openings in the 'web' as well. There are no worms coming out of it, and it doesn't seem like it is a sponge. Any ideas what it may be?

100_1897.jpg

You can see the spider type web in the middle of my cauliflower leather coral.

Back
Top Bottom