spiney mollusk, clicking sound and others

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hisc1ay

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is there such a thing as a spiney mollusk? I got new rock yesterday and there's this thing on my glass that looks like a really small mollusk or mussel (about half the size of a dime). It looks like it has a white shell, red body, and white spines or short tentacles coming off of the edge of the shell opening. I'd take a picture, but I can't get this silly camera to focus on the right thing.

I also have been hearing a clicking noise peroidically throughout the night and I can't find at all where it's coming from. I know pistol shrimp make that noise, but it must be hiding. Are there any other things that click, and more importantly, should I try to get them out?

I also have snails with a black shell and red foot. Are they cool also?

Thanks for your help. I have more stuff to ID, but I'll look around first. :)

Oh, ok...one more...there's this yellow blob of stuff that has pores on it. Is it a type of sponge or squirt?

Thanks!
-jason

hisc1ay said:
It looks like it has a white shell, red body, and white spines or short tentacles coming off of the edge of the shell opening.
Sounds like a type of bi-valve. The "spikes" could be either bysal threads used to anchor the animal in place or possibley a spiney oyster. There are certain types of bi-valves and snails for that matter with spiked shells. If a bi-valve I wouldn't worry about it.

I also have been hearing a clicking noise peroidically throughout the night and I can't find at all where it's coming from. I know pistol shrimp make that noise, but it must be hiding. Are there any other things that click, and more importantly, should I try to get them out?
If a pistol shrimp it's not really a concern but I would try to locate and identify it. Mantis will make a similar noise and are a danger to snails and other mobile inverts. Mantis should be removed and returned to the LFS unless you can set up a species only tank.

I also have snails with a black shell and red foot. Are they cool also?
Not cool, a red foot will usually indicate a predaceous species. Most commonly whelks. If you can post a pic of the top, side and shell opening it would help but I would suggest removing them.

Oh, ok...one more...there's this yellow blob of stuff that has pores on it. Is it a type of sponge or squirt?
Most likely a sponge and typically harmless.

Cheers
Steve

I'd pick up a crab trap to catch your clicking hitcher.
I had clicking for months before I saw the Little Mantis that was the culprit.

better safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom