Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-18-2004, 08:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to hisc1ay Send a message via Yahoo to hisc1ay
spiney mollusk, clicking sound and others

Is there such a thing as a spiney mollusk? I got new rock yesterday and there's this thing on my glass that looks like a really small mollusk or mussel (about half the size of a dime). It looks like it has a white shell, red body, and white spines or short tentacles coming off of the edge of the shell opening. I'd take a picture, but I can't get this silly camera to focus on the right thing.

I also have been hearing a clicking noise peroidically throughout the night and I can't find at all where it's coming from. I know pistol shrimp make that noise, but it must be hiding. Are there any other things that click, and more importantly, should I try to get them out?

I also have snails with a black shell and red foot. Are they cool also?

Thanks for your help. I have more stuff to ID, but I'll look around first.

Oh, ok...one more...there's this yellow blob of stuff that has pores on it. Is it a type of sponge or squirt?

Thanks!
-jason

Old 11-19-2004, 11:06 AM   #2
steve-s

Re: spiney mollusk, clicking sound and others

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisc1ay
It looks like it has a white shell, red body, and white spines or short tentacles coming off of the edge of the shell opening.
Sounds like a type of bi-valve. The "spikes" could be either bysal threads used to anchor the animal in place or possibley a spiney oyster. There are certain types of bi-valves and snails for that matter with spiked shells. If a bi-valve I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote:
I also have been hearing a clicking noise peroidically throughout the night and I can't find at all where it's coming from. I know pistol shrimp make that noise, but it must be hiding. Are there any other things that click, and more importantly, should I try to get them out?
If a pistol shrimp it's not really a concern but I would try to locate and identify it. Mantis will make a similar noise and are a danger to snails and other mobile inverts. Mantis should be removed and returned to the LFS unless you can set up a species only tank.

Quote:
I also have snails with a black shell and red foot. Are they cool also?
Not cool, a red foot will usually indicate a predaceous species. Most commonly whelks. If you can post a pic of the top, side and shell opening it would help but I would suggest removing them.

Quote:
Oh, ok...one more...there's this yellow blob of stuff that has pores on it. Is it a type of sponge or squirt?
Most likely a sponge and typically harmless.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-19-2004, 05:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'd pick up a crab trap to catch your clicking hitcher.
I had clicking for months before I saw the Little Mantis that was the culprit.

better safe than sorry.

Lighting: 48'' Coralife HQI aqualight pro | 2 150 watt MH | 2 96 watt true actinic fluorescents | 3 1 watt blue-moon-glow LEDs

Fish&Inverts: 3-BlueGreen Chromis | Shrimp Goby | Purple Firefish | 6 Line-Wrasse | LawnMower Blenny | Royal Gramma | Coral Beauty | Maxima Clam | 16 Assort. -Snails | LR Hitchers: Crabs, Urchins, Brittle Stars, Feather Dusters, and more

Corals: Assorted Mushrooms | Green Button Polyps | Toadstool Leather | Pulsing Xenia | Clove Polyps | Star Polyps | FrogSpawn | Branching Hammer | Candy Cane | Zoos | Ricordea | Open Brain | Bubble |
--------------------------------------------------------
24Gallon JBJ Nano Cube | LR 25lbs Marshall Creek/Tonga/Fiji | 2 Flase Percula Clowns | Shrooms | Xenia | Green Button Polyps | Snails | Hermits
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com