sponge??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scuba_steve

Aquarium Advice Addict
first ?? in the first pick it looks like white roots growing on the rock !! is this a type of sponge?? have this all over my over flows and glass wasnt sure what it was !!
2nd pick im guessing these are sponges i have growing everywhere !! touched one the other night and the feathers on the top didnt move when i touched it but they looks like this pick !!

also guessing that both are a good thing !!! not sure how i got these and or how they reproduce but they growing eveywhere !! would this also be a sign of mabe to much food ???

I have the same thing in my tank (first pic). Reefrunner had said that they were a type of sponge. I remember the word pineapple for some reason. Not sure if they are called pineapple sponges or thats just what he used to describe them to me! :D I have them growing behind my PH's and theres a ton of them growing in my biomedia in my skimmer. They aren't bad, not sure that they are really good; I think they're just there! :wink:

yea would say they look like a pineapple for sure !! if someone has the true name of these uys like to read more on them :)

I have those too, and for some reason there's always a bunch growing in my media, too like you said.

Cute lil things tho

The second pic is a bit hard to tell, but it could be Leucosolenia sp. (also a sponge). Here is a pic of some in our tank:

leuc.jpg

HTH,

ok one last ? if sponges like these are growing and reproducing like they are would it be safe to add other sponges or are some alot harder to keep than others which im guessing is the case but like the idea of adding different kinds of sponges if i could keep them alive !!!

Back
Top Bottom