Sponge or "snot"....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rafecci

Aquarium Advice Activist
This has been growing off my LR. As for behavior it grew upward from the bottom rock to the top rock. Nothing seems to bother it and it just grows. Started as a long "wire looking" and seems to be attaching itself to the other rock. I looked around and I'm thinking it's a sponge. But I also think it looks like snot. Can tanks get colds? (J/K)

Attachments

• 100_3320.jpg
    100_3320.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 63
Thank you - anything special I should know about it? I know they use filtration of the current to feed. I haven't specially feed it persay and it seems to be growing well. Any concerns I should have with it?

The only concern is that they can get out of hand so you may need to trim it to keep it under control. Trimming is simple enough though as you can just pull them apart. Otherwise, they don't require any real care.

They are great filter feeders though. Great for the tank as long as it does not get out of hand as Cindy said.

I would be careful with picking apart sponges by hand. Sponges contain tiny spines (spicules) throughout them, either made of calcium or silica. If it's calcium, it can be removed by alternating between soaking the affected area with alcohol or vinegar, followed by putting tape over it and peeling off to remove the spicules. Silica can be a little more difficult, as it's pretty much glass spines. (Thanks Marine Biology class! Most fun class I've had in college)

I found this website which should help Wilderness: Sea Sponge Irritation Treatment: First Aid Information for Wilderness: Sea Sponge Irritation

I would be careful with picking apart sponges by hand. Sponges contain tiny spines (spicules) throughout them, either made of calcium or silica. If it's calcium, it can be removed by alternating between soaking the affected area with alcohol or vinegar, followed by putting tape over it and peeling off to remove the spicules. Silica can be a little more difficult, as it's pretty much glass spines. (Thanks Marine Biology class! Most fun class I've had in college)

I found this website which should help Wilderness: Sea Sponge Irritation Treatment: First Aid Information for Wilderness: Sea Sponge Irritation
That is interesting Just curious how you would soak the affected area in alcohol or vinegar without disturbing the tank and messing up the water chemistry And wouldn't tape under water not stick to anything??

They are talking about if you get cut....not actually trying to do that in the tank to remove parts of the sponge.

Don't feel bad, I didn't read the link (sorry), but just assumed what claw was saying that if you got "poked" or "stung" was what he was stating.

Back
Top Bottom