Starfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vegas Marine

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Found this guy on some base rock today. Pretty sure it's a starfish??? about 1/2" across.

Any idea where he came from? I have a sand shifting star, can they multiply/give birth/lay eggs???

Asterina sp. is a common hitchhiker, it must have come in on some rock. They are an opportunistic feeder that will prey primarily on worms and algaes for the most part.

Cheers
Steve

ajacinth said:
My understanding is that these little guys will feed on corals. If you have any you might want to get rid of it, as they reproduce fairly fast.

Here is an article explaining --> http://www.thesea.org/index_ce_161_.html

Those are different from the one in the picture. I have a ton of the ones that Vegas has (100+) and all of my corals are still in tact. The cool/bad thing is that they split over and over again so you will soon have many more :D

Agreed with CBRguy. There are many different types of Asterina sp. and all get the same bad rap. Many are not parasitic and will leave corals alone, as I said their main diet (in this case) is worms and algaes.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom