Starfish ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fergieturk

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay so I forgot what type of starfish I have. :oops: I don't have a photo yet b/c the film has yet to be developed.
All I know is that he is a serpent-type star - looks like a brittle with brown and tan stripes on him. Is he just a brittle star or does he have a specific name? I would like to know so I can do a search and figure out how big he will get. Right now each leg is about 8 1/2 inches long and his disk is like 1 1/2 inches. 8O How big will he get - his legs were 4 inches when I got him in November.
-Michelle

Sounds like a serpent star to me. I'm not sure how big they get though. I know they can get quite large. From you description it sounds like the larger brittle stars that I have seen. Im not sure if he will get much larger than that.

Thanks, Michael. I didn't know if there was a specific type she/he is or not. I just want to know how big this gal/guy will get. I can't believe how fast she/he has grown so far - doubling in size in like 5 months. 8O

If you can't post the pic...do a google images search using "brittle star" as your search terms, you may be able to find your starfish and work backwards from the pic to get a scientific name, if not, you could give us a link to a pic that looks like your star.

The pic you posted looks like a Banded Serpent star. When you say "furrier" legs, it's probably what we refer to as a Brittle star - the legs are "spiky". We have a Black Brittle star, and also what is referred to as a "Tiger" brittle - it's very dark (brown-black), but you can see faint cream-colored stripes on the legs.

As far as size, ours have been very large (16" from tip to tip) for quite a while (years), so I can't remember how quickly they grew. I love my 'Sea Monsters'! :)

Back
Top Bottom