Starfish Identification? Star Limpet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coralena

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It's me again, suprise suprise! =) First, thanks for the great response about the snail and algae, I think that is pretty much confirmed, though the snail has disappeared(probably hiding). We bought another pound of live sand and 2 pounds of live rock (both fresh from our LFS 's tank). On a piece of the live rock we noticed something and looking around the closest thing I can find it looks like is a star limpet....where do they come from? Another thing is there is a baby starfish we can't identify...he is tan with a dark brown dot on each arm...we think maybe he's a chocolate chip but he as six arms? Anyone have a clue on either thing? He's right next to the star limpet looking thing and awe're worried if he is a chocolate chip and the limpet looking thing is a coral, that he will ruin it. Thanks for your advice yet again! =)

Does the star look like this??

star4.jpg

star1.jpg

If so it is one of the different Asterina spp stars. The only easy way to get a positive ID is to observe their feeding behavior.

One eats detritus
One eats Diatoms
A few eat bacteria
A few eat SPS polyps

The limpet...does it look like this??

limpet.jpg

If so it is a keyhole limpet and is a beneficial algae eater.

My world for my digital camera back!! *sigh* Our limpet thing doesnt have that many ridges, I just found this one and it's about the same color also. http://www.wildsingapore.com/chekjawa/largfoto/r421a1x.htm

As for the starfish, it looks very similar to a chocolate chip starfish but it has 6 rays instead of 5.

Our snail reappeared!!! He's some kind of slug, he's a rust color with brownish patches on him and boy can he move!!!

Upon checking the tank after everything settled from todays live rock/sand additions we've found many other hitchhikers! 3 really tiny brittle starfish that are white, an orange feathery looking coral(possibly, it's hard to tell since its so small, it's similiar to an orange feather duster), we also found a baby snail that looks similar to a stormella and we also found another starfish that looks like the starfish that is posted above =) It's Christmas all over again!!!! Gotta love it!! =)

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom