Still Looking for Positive ID!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stresco

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can anyone please identify this thing for me? I think that is is some sort of cuke, but i want to know for sure. It was a hitch-hiker on some LR i got a few months back and it is driving me nuts not knowing what it is. The link below is a picture of its head. It is about 8 inches long, but it hides in the rocks so you cant see it. Once in a while, it will nock over some of my corals looking for food in the middle of the night. It hides from any light, and runs when i use the flash to take its picture. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.myaquaria.com/gallery/ackman/Cucumber_Maybe

PS: This is a big pic, so dialups beware!

Hmmmmm, I Chiton? I did some research on Chitons on the web, and although it fits most of the characteristics of a chiton, this creature is longer... and looks more like a cuke. But seeing as i have never had the opportunity to see all of it at once, i have not been able to count the "shell" like things on top of it. Could you send me the reference material that you used to identify it? I would love to know more.

Wow ReefLady, the top pic in your second link is my critter! So what should i do??? Should i take it out of my tank or not?

Chitons are grazing herbivores, found in all parts of the world. They range in size from the huge Californian Cryptochiton stelleri, which grows to 300mm in length, to some that never grow more than a few millimeters in length.

Unless it is bulldozing your coral and becoming a problem, leave it, it will be beneficial. If however, it is knocking things down...you either need to remove it, or secure the corals better. Me personally...I would secure the corals better, once you nkow the coral iis happy in it's location...use some underwater epoxy and/or superglue gel to secure it to the LR.

AquaMend from the Glue section at home Depot

HTH<
James

I usually dont.. It will mend underwater and seems to be reef Safe.. there are alot of ppl using it on RC without issue as well as ppl here locally... Its only about 2-3.00 per tube.. It is the same as the stuff that they sell in the LFS for 10-15.00.. IMO it should be able to glue anything underwater except corals to glass. Still never got it to do that...

JAmes

Back
Top Bottom