Stone Crab?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodOSoot

Aquarium Advice Regular
The more & more I stare at my tank looking at the crab who rarely ventures from his hide hole in the rock he really resembles this one:

Stonecrab97.jpeg

So not an Emerald Crab at all, I will try again to get a picture of him but it is very hard. He hides almost immediatley when approaching the tank.

The reason I think he is a Stone is because of the coloration of the front claws, I can see the have black tips. It is also very fast and can jump to get food, plus he seems interested in anything that moves as a meal.

Currently no tank inhabitants have died from him but he may have taken a hermit apart and I just didn't notice it yet.

I will update with an actual picture of mine.

So should I actively try and catch him?

I also saw another crab tonight, very tiny and basically popped up out of nowhere. The thing seriously shot up like rocket. It is about the size of a head on a plastic pushpin.

So much life in just 3 rocks.

Get it out of there. Try the tilted glass against the rock trick to lure it into the glass. It should be large enough that the crab can not crawl out.

If you sit in a chair in front of the tank you may be able to get a better photo. You have to sit there till the crab feels comforatble enough to come out of hiding.

Ya I am going to try tonight to get rid of him, the other crab is so small I don't think it is a threat yet plus I can't find him either.

Ok go it out and man is it ugly lol. I should say she because it looks like she has eggs beneath her.

Pics tonight.

Ok no pics because the camera was not around but the crab is long gone and dead, almost lost it again when I had it in confinement because the cup slipped out of my hand.

Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom