Stowaways

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaineSalt

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've just started my tank 2 weeks ago and I bought some more live rock yesterday and this morning when I looked in I had some new friends. Just curious as to what they are?

Pictures came out awful but this video is okay.

Ya that looks just like it....will boiling it kill all the beneficial bacteria?

Ya that looks just like it....will boiling it kill all the beneficial bacteria?
Yes it will kill the beneficial bacteria , but the other rock you have will reseed the rock in time. This is not the only rock you have is it? Believe me you don't want this stuff in your tank and don't try to remove it in your tank it will release spores and grow everywhere...there are products to remove apstasia but for myself in the past I took no chances I boiled a rock when i had apstasia...do a google search and get info...on this site then decide what to do....

Be very careful boiling live rock!!! Research some of what has happened to others who have done so first. If there were ever any zoas, it could be very dangerous!

DONT BOIL LIVE ROCK!!! You may be signing a death certificate. Sit it out in the sun in a bucket to air dry thus killing any and all marine life.

What? No....do nothing suggested above.
First of all, they are not "very bad". They are a tiny anemone that has been deemed a pest because they spread very quickly. You can easily kill them without removing the rock. There are many ways: Kalkwasser paste, Joes juice, aptasia-X, vinegar, lemon juice...
Nothing to be alarmed about and you'll see them from time to time for years to come (if you stay in the hobby that is).

Lemon juice in a syringe worked for me and Small ones like that a couple peppermint shrimp could do the job. Good little shrimps to have, or go Mr X route no need to boil or such.

Ill try lemon juice ...... any meds will have to wait no place to buy them without driving 2 hours.....one downfall to living in rural maine. But I love it most days. Ill have to order some online.

MarineSalt I'm sorry for the bad advise....let me know if I caused any problem I will gladly reimburse you for the live rock. Thanks Airgoose 2222, jwh0818, mr_X and Daniel Fishy for correcting it.....

Back
Top Bottom