strange crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weaverkb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anyone have any idea what this is?
img_845692_0_5c23a3562af6e19542a01c2c91bd7adf.jpg

img_845692_1_cdd27ed5ba02b58190d0f8bf8a72b6eb.jpg

img_845692_2_c286fa3b4138c8ef135f5bf9ae4ac208.jpg

Last edited:
Definitely not a stomatella. It's a crab of some sort. Looks kind of like a little potato bug. I've never seen one before. Kinda looks like a tiny arrow crab but I know that's not it. It's about as big as a small thumb tack.

Very weird and cool looking thing. I have no clue what it is, never seen anything like that before.

If you can't figure out what it is and nobody here can, try sending an email to the pros at WetWebMedia.com. They can usually figure out a lot of the ID's.

No, it doesn't look like anything on there. It's definitely not a snail. It has legs and moves like a crab. It even has tiny little pincers like a crab. It's the strangest thing I've seen.
I think it may be some kind of teardrop crab but I'm not sure. Maybe it's a juvenile.

Very weird and cool looking thing. I have no clue what it is, never seen anything like that before.

If you can't figure out what it is and nobody here can, try sending an email to the pros at WetWebMedia.com. They can usually figure out a lot of the ID's.

Did you try this? I'm extremely curious...What the heck is it?:confused:

Which way does it move? I'm thinking the "pincers" are on the rear end, and it's an isopod. Some of the ones I've had in my tank had things on their rear ends that looked like horns, but could also look like pincers.

If it was my tank, I'd remove it just to be safe.

The "horns" are at the head and it definitely has legs and walks like a crab. The more I look up teardrop crabs, the more I think that's what it is.

That is pretty gross that people eat that. Especially after you click on the picture to blow it up to see a close up. I didn't catch the restaurant thing the first time... but hey, if it actually tasted just like lobster or king crab, Id try it as long as I dont see it first.

Oh no! That is WRONG on so many levels. I lived in Florida for a year on the beach.. and we used 'sand fleas' as bait. They were some type of isopod, I think... they were up to almost 2 inches long.. white and would scurry and burrow in the sand. I made my husband bait my hook with those. I'd touch half rotten mullet, any kind of worm/grub, squid.. no problem... but the sand fleas.. no way!

Back
Top Bottom