Strange hitchhiker with live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cloudxsoldier

Aquarium Advice Regular
Bought some new rock a few days ago and noticed these small white peble looking things (tiny) kinda swaying out of a crater in the rock. A few days later they where in a different crater. Then last night at about 11 I turn the lights on and find out its THIS thing. Its a worm or really small slug of some sort. It has thiese small white things that look like white bits of sands the hang off it and sway in the waters current. The arrows point to its horns/ feelers.

It's the oddest thing i've seen so far

Also attached it a pic of some sort of anemone i think. can someone confirm good or bad?

whatthez.jpg

anemonee.jpg

the first picture appears to be the slimy secretion of a eunicid worm. the mucous has sand particles attached. they don't wear it however. the body of the worm wearing that sand appears to be that of a nudibranch. since there are many unidentified species still in the ocean, it's possible you have a nudi that uses camo.
after all that, of you are even more confused, i'd say we need a few more pics....lol
here you go. this should keep you busy for a while-
Marine Flatworms of the World!
can you find one that resembles it?

the second pic looks like a palythoa. he needs some light to open before we can give him a positive id.

I'll get a few higher resolution shots or a nice video.
I really wanna know what this thing is.
thanks mr x

would you beleive it? I was waiting for my little friend to come out of his crater for a better picture when all of a sudden this thing showed up on a seperate peice of live rock!

nudibranch.jpg

it has yellow and blue dots on it and two antena thingies. PLEASE tell me they are relativly safe and won't multiply like mad and kill my fish!

Oh and ps mr X, the thing i mentioned earlier looks NOTHING like this.

EDIT: I found this one on the site you linked me. it says it's from Japan :S
http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~bu6/flat0037.html

Attachments

• nudibranch.JPG
    nudibranch.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
well, there you have it. "unidentified". we don't have any idea what it will do, but i doubt very much that it will multiply like crazy or we'd have seen it more often. i would leave it and observe it. report your findings if you find out anything about it, like what it eats.
that's quite fascinating that you have such a rare creature in your home.

Looks def like a nudibranch to me :)
Poor guy must have traveled alot LOL
I would just keep a close eye on him and see if anything happeneds

Well I havn't seen my japanese flatworm since i put it back in the tank :(

And after a bit of research ive found that my 'strange slug with bits of sand on it' (or somthing) is a small burghia nudibranch! the aiptasia eating ones. I watched it for a little while last night and it started digging into one on the peice of rock it came with. Good yeah??

I did alot of googleing trying to find something that looked similar. and I came across a few pictures, found out what they where and did a google image search on them. it looks alot like this one

DSCN2138.jpg

It has the long skinny tail and clustered bumps on his back. I saw him getting stuck into an aispatsia at night and then it was gone the next day! nom nom nom! I'll get another photo when he comes out in a good spot.

Thanks again for your help :)

Back
Top Bottom