stripey crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David S

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all
Just setting up my new tank and found this black tip clawed,brown and white striped legs crab on my LR
img_1105116_0_84fe356a7637de48438086e2b0bf4903.jpg

Any ideas??

Usually any advice with crabs. If it has sharp pointed pincers its a bad guy.

but again id always wait for a confirmation. Usually bad crabs hide better than that.

I'm a freshwater guy but still read the salt section. From what I remember, crabs with black claws are typically bad. Do you have a sump or anything? Catch him and move him there.

Hi Mike
No its not the same ,its body is a lot wider,I'll use a glass and food to try to catch him tomorrow and take a pic,when i first saw him it looked like a spider!!

Glass trick should work. Do you have a sump on your set up. If so throw him in there.

I can't tell if he's got little hairs or not from the pic but his shape and claws say Gorilla crab. I had one of those hitch hike in to my tank, unfortunately for him, my two emerald crabs didn't like him and they promptly attacked him, pulled him apart and ate him lol.

tried to catch him with food in the glass but he dissappeared and hasn't come near the glass or in sight,I've just fitted some aqua fx led's so I'll set them to red tonight to see if I can catch him then with a pump and 3/8 hose to act like a vacuum and suck him to the hose then put him in the fuge,well I hope it works.lol

A crab can climb back into the main tank from a fuge if it uses a spillover. Just fyi.
it'll be a miracle if it does LOL,my fuge has about ten foot of pipework,valves,filters and a underwater spraybar to contend with,ha ha

I can't tell if he's got little hairs or not from the pic but his shape and claws say Gorilla crab. I had one of those hitch hike in to my tank, unfortunately for him, my two emerald crabs didn't like him and they promptly attacked him, pulled him apart and ate him lol.

Man that sounds terrible! I thought emeralds were nice, algae eating crabs? I guess they can become nasty when they want to! I have two, (well might as well be one since the other one only comes out once a year). Maybe they felt the gorilla crab would be too much competition in the tank?

Matt

Back
Top Bottom