Stuff growing all over the bottom of my tank. Please help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beernboots

Aquarium Advice Activist
This stuff is spreading all over the bottom of my tank. In the sand right now got big splotches of purple, red, and brown. Can anyone tell me what it is and how to get rid of it? It in my frag tank and I worried that it might hurt my corals. Oh yeah the red stuff is hairy, the brown is starting to get bubbles growing, and I just noticed the purple that just looks like a big blob.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1388185832041.jpg
    1388185832041.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 139
  • 1388185849921.jpg
    1388185849921.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 133
  • 1388185867991.jpg
    1388185867991.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 129
  • 1388185886474.jpg
    1388185886474.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 126
That's cyanobacteria. It comes from overfeeding/not enough nutrient export. Water changes, vacuuming out what you can with each change, and cutting back on feeding is the cure.

I only feed a couple times a week. The only fish I have is a sixline wrasse and a balloon Molly. They mostly eat the hair algae that I currently have a problem with too.

I feed them and my corals about two or three times a week and at the same time.

Don't understand why this tank has gotten nasty so quickly. I change the water and vacuum weekly.

You can use a product called chemiclean. It will remove the visible cyano. Water changes will still need to be done to remove the chemical and the cyano will come back if the nutrient levels aren't lowered.

That what my lfs just recomended. He gonna get me some next week. Thanks so much.

Is there anything I should do before and after I add the chemical?

Yes, you are going to need to do multiple water changes after the treatment. How is the aeration in your system? Do you have a skimmer? Power heads? Aeration is important. Oxygen levels will be effected. If you have pretty good flow in the tank it should be ok.
The skimmer (if any) will have to be turned off, and you won't be able to turn it back on until you've done those series of water changes. You will try it, and it will immediately overflow.

Very small power head. This is only a 33 gallon long. Protein skimmer is broke right now, trying to fix it, got a hang on the back 90 gallon marine land bio wheel emporer.

I would use the HOb filter without a carbon cartridge, just for added aeration. Perhaps even a bubbler, if you have one from an old freshy tank.

Very small power head. This is only a 33 gallon long. Protein skimmer is broke right now, trying to fix it, got a hang on the back 90 gallon marine land bio wheel emporer.

Flow may be a potential problem. You should increase it if you think it's lacking. this may be contributing to your issue.

It is running with no carbon. Might need to add another smallish powerhead tho

No just tap water with prime mixed in.

I have a 110, a 60, and a 30 long, and no problems with them.

Back
Top Bottom