Submitted for your approval (what do I have here?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OhTheHumanity

Aquarium Advice Activist
My first post... I have a 55 gal. tank and has been cyclying for 3 weeks...

I have noticed in the last 3 days something brown (Fig. 1) has been showing up on the substrate (crushed coral)... It started in the right end of the tank and is spreading... The stuff in the right end is progessiveley getting darker... I think it may be brown algae, however my tank has not cycled yet.. I tested the water tonight and results are as follows...

Nitrate- 40 Nitrite- 0 Alk- 300 PH-8.2 Ammonia- .25

Also I have a few things on my LR I'm curious about...

Fig.2, Is this some type of polyp? It's brown and looks like a starburst(not the candy lol)

Fig. 3, This is prupleish red (I guess) and looks to be, um spongy...

Fig. 4 This is slimy looking and brown, I think it started popping up around the time of the brown on my substrate... Is this algae or some other slimy crud...

Oh the fun of saltwater aquarium when you're just starting out...

ok could someone tell me how to take better pictures? also if i could get a little adivice on making pictures smaller so they can be up loaded then be magnyfied after opening...

and also how to add more than 1 picture per post... lol

the frustration continues... :mrgreen:

All the answers to your questions can be found in the Site Help/Feedback forum on photo uploads. The info on taking better photos can be found in the Show off/Photography forum.

Sounds like diatoms or cyano. This is not uncommon in a tank thats still cycling.

So should I just let go until the end of cycling or is there something I can do about it? I've read water changes shouldn't be performed until cycling has occured.. Can i use that method or is the statement true?

Diatoms are natural and , yes, very frustrating. I see that you are cycling with damsels. I personally wouldn't do a water change just yet, since you still have ammonias present, and you want the nitrifying bacteria to grow and consume it, so that in the future, they will be sufficient to break down all, well......most, of your waste. I would hold off on water changes until you are testing 0 for ammonia.
Diatoms will go linger until your system is stable and begins to be nitrate free. You will need to be zealous with water changes, though, until they are gone.

Also, if you change your light drastically, they will most likely come back, so don't be discouraged.

I would now like to take this time to say WELCOME TO AQUARIUM ADVICE!!! You have chosen a wonderful hobby, and an even better place to share and learn about aquaria.

Back
Top Bottom