Sump tank overflow management

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltwaterman12

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Is there a electric shut off valve that will keep the water from flowing into the sump tank of the power goes out.

with mine if power goes out water goes to the sump but stops once the overflows are clear, I have a 90g tank with a 30g sump when power goes out the sump takes on about 10g with about 10g to spare . never a problem with overflow

There isn't anything to my knowledge that would do this. Saltwater is simply too corrosive for many things and relying on such a thing in an emergency situation would lead to failure.
As seaweed said, proper planning will resolve any issues. I have a 20 gallon sump on my 55 gallon reef with a HOB overflow. I haven't had any issues with the sump overflowing.

with mine if power goes out water goes to the sump but stops once the overflows are clear, I have a 90g tank with a 30g sump when power goes out the sump takes on about 10g with about 10g to spare . never a problem with overflow

Sorry it was supposed to say sump. I was thinking that would work. But in my overflow there's only a two inch piece of pipe sticking up. Should I put a longer piece of pipe in it.

let me see if I'm understanding you right , are your pipes are on the bottom of the tank?
or what type of overflow do you have

internal overflow once the water gets below the overflow tower the water will stop flowing
depending on the size of your tank your sump should be at least 1/4 the volume of the tank , depending the size of your tank say 100g the overflow would drop 10g .
50g would drop 5g and so on ,
think that pretty much explains the water volume issue along with size of the sump

Back
Top Bottom