Sun Polyps???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ntswift

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Are these sun polyps? If so, are they hard to keep? They sort of look like them except they don't have any tenticles. I dont know if i should take it back or not. Any help would be great!

Looks like sun polyps to me, but w/ some tissue necrosis/recession. I'm not sure how well or easily they recover. They are non-photosynthetic filter feeders. They require targets feedings and prefer to be in a shaded area. I'd say take it back until you get some more experience.

So I took it back and got a brain coral and a candy cane coral. They look really good! I feel much better having these rather than the sun polyps. Thanks for the advice guys!

So I took it back and got a brain coral and a candy cane coral
I think you will do much better with those. Be sure to monitor your Ca/Alk levels since you are adding "stoney" corals. They deposit calcium carbonate skeletons and will draw fairly heavily on your Alk and Ca levels. Be sure to monitor them closely.

Should i be adding anything to help the Ca/Alk levels? I'm using Oceanic salt to help out with the calcium but no real additives.

I would test the Ca/Alk every day or every other day for 4-6 days to find out your daily demand/usage. If you find that the Ca or Alk is dipping below an acceptable level, than more frequent PWC's may done or a balanced two-part Ca/Alk supplement (ie. B-Ionic) used as needed. Two part additives are much more convenient to use when a tank has a medium-high Ca/Alk demand compared to PWC's.
IMO w/ what you have so far, weekly PWC's of 10-15% should be able to replenish what's used and keep everything in good shape. HTH

i have a sun polyp and be glad that you brought it back...it is the only coral in my tank that has to be hand fed(gets annoying).

I have a couple of them and yes it gets annoying sometimes but it must be done.

Attachments

• 000_0068_211.jpg
    000_0068_211.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 24
  • fish_016_194.jpg
    fish_016_194.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 23
Yeah thats why I'm glad i traded mine in for my brain and candy cane coral. I just didnt have the time to feed it like that.

Back
Top Bottom