Sundials(bad) vs The other kind

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarred Darque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK, I cant remmeber the name of the other kind, but it is the good kind of snail, whereas hte sundial is bad.

I was previously unable to tell the differance, as I only have a known example of a half-dime sized sundial, and the snails out of my tank, which I dont know what htey are.

I got to looking at them, I cant tell differances in teh pattern, but I noticed a differance in the opening of the shell.

The opening on the sundial is set at almost 90 degrees from the conical part of the shell, while the opening on the ones form my tank are set closer to 45 degrees from the shell.

anyone who has some expamples close at hand please look at them and tell me if this would be a good way to identify them. I need to get all the sundials out befor eI get zoos, but would prefer not to get rid of any good type of snails other than ones I have already pulled out.

I have no examples to show you but, if you look at the trap door of a sundial snail, it has a cone trap door. The other snails I believe you are talking about are mini turbo snail or type of nerites. HTH

I've always called them mini turbos too.....they are good so leave them alone!

They reproduce fast...I look at it this way, 20 little ones = one big turbo snail. Great, albeit small, but great grazers.

Sundial snails deserve to be thrown in hot city water.

yeah, but the problem is telling them apart. without both confirmed, and large enough to tell, teh cone shaped? door, I have no idea exactly what it looks like :/

ok cool thanks Fluff :) that second pic helps out alot. The one I have was dead bfefore I got hold of him, so the trap door is prolly sunk far into the shell, or has fallen off

Back
Top Bottom