Surprise!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hollywood

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got up this morning and discovered that a rock had fallen and moved into a new position. To my surprise there was something growing on the back of it. Don't know what it is so I am posting the pic. Anyone?
picture.php

Looks like aiptasia and not something desirable in your tank. If you do a general search for aiptasia, you should find tons of info on how to remove it.

OK thanx. I did a search in the article section but nothin came up. I punched in Aiptasia and said there were no match's.

Joes Juice works for me. But they keep coming back eventually in different spots. I have also had luck with peppermint shrimp (although your aiptasia looks pretty big) they rid my tank of aiptasia but then end up dying off themselves. I'm thinking maybe my cleaner shrimp kill them.

I'm getting half-*** tempted to take the rock out of the tank, and chisle off the part of the rock where this thing is growing. I was just reading that using a BBQ lighter and burning the thing for about 20 seconds will also do the trick.
How stupid is either idea ?

Go to your local grocery store and by some pickling lime. It costs a little over $3 and mix it with some SW until you get a watery paste. Hit the thing in the mouth and watch it shrivel. Joe's juice can work too but it's like $10 for a tiny bottle. I always had troube with Joe's Juice clogging up.

I also just read about using lemon juice, which seems to concur. Reading up on these little devils,I came across this :
Characteristics: Aiptasia when disturbed eject dangerous white stinging threads, or acontia. (Cut and paste job)
I wonder if that was any of the little white hairs I saw the other day.

Whatever you do, don't try to mechanically remove it. If you do you'll spread it all over your tank. At that point, you will end up getting very good at administering Joe's Juice or the kalk paste treatment.

LOL I think I will buy a pepermint shrimp first cause they look good and it's somethin else in the tank. If that don't do the trick I will try the pickling lime. IF that doesn't work I have a barbecue lighter!! :)

Back
Top Bottom