Sweet worm. What is it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aye. And the average beginner has a difficult time positively identifying them. Plus their looks are not the most easy on the stomachs of the squeamish ;)

Wow they do look like fireworms. I have only seen one positive id on this site and it didn't quite look the same as the ones you have. I have always thought that they have a red coloration close to the body on the spines. Cool looking worms though and I agree they are benifical to the tank eat all the leftovers the fish leave behind.

I just looked back and it was CD.Preist. His thread says "what the heck is this" . I'm not very good at linking threads so see if you can find it. It will give ya something to compare yours to. Mcdracor I would love to hear if you think it is a fireworm cause it sure does look like one. :)

Wow the one on the other thread looks very Very similar. It is hard to tell with so many types of worms. I think the bigger one I pulled out was not a fire worm :( oh well we all have to learn somehow I guess.

The only two species of bristleworm/fireworm that I know to be dangerous are very recognizable both by appearance and habit.
The caribbean Bearded fireworm is big. Real big. Up to 3 feet long. Bearded because it's bristles form very thick bushy tufts that are long and bright white. Being so large and formidably defended, they have very few natural predators and as such are quite fearless. While most worms are nocturnal, stay mostly hidden, and/or retreat from nearby movement, the Caribbean Bearded worm has a very "I don't give a darn" attitude. Also, other than being very unpleasant to accidentally touch, they are really only dangerous to non-encrusting gorgonians. They will essentially pick a branch of the gorgonian and, pardon the term, deepthroat it, gumming the tissue to death for digestion. As you can imagine, by behavior alone, this worm is very easy to identify.
The other one is the Bobbit Worm. Not kidding, that's the name. It's much stockier in build and has proportionally larger mouthpieces, giving it a terrifying appearance. Like a cross between "Tremors" and "Alien". It stays beneath the sand until an unsuspecting fish moves over it. It then bursts out with incredible speed and bites, hard enough to actually cut smaller fish in two. Again... pretty easy to recognize.
Both of these worms would starve in the average SW tank, with inadequate supply of appropriate food. Frankly, if someone had a half dozen Caribbean Bearded worms, I'd put them in my tank just to prove a point.
The worms are our friends. Unless you are overfeeding the tank to the point of allowing the worms to grow to "maximum adult size" there really is nothing to worry about.
I cannot be 100% sure of the worm in that other thread, but it *could* be a juvenile bearded. In which case... cool!
I'm sure it will be willing to scavenge leftover fish food like any other worm, but it's natural prey are gorgonians, and probably not in that tank. I doubt any other coral or fish has anything to fear from it.
Regarding the hallucinations: Not the worm's fault! LOL Those bristles are actually hollow barbed tubes of calcium carbonate. Hollow is the key word here. If he really was hallucinating, it wasn't the bristle itself, but rather bacteria and other contagions from the tank water itself, which were brought into the wound by the hollow bristle. Appropriate treatment is a vinegar soak, followed by hot water soak, followed by a doctor's visit, mentioning exactly what happened... and antibiotics to treat the inevitable infection. Tetanus booster also recommended.

Ya I thought that worm on the other thread was pretty cool that's why I said maybe he could try a species tank for it. I just saw another one this morning that looks quite similar as well on another thread. Thanks for all the info that's some interesting stuff.

Just keep in mind that unless a video/article/forum thread specifically says "Caribbean Bearded" fireworm, it could be referring to almost any species of marine segmented worm with bristles.

There is a few that do, but like ya said you never really know what kind it is unless you are a marine biologist and dissect it. Lol they are a really neat looking worm and you are right they should be more appreciated. :)

To be honest, if anyone had a verified Caribbean Bearded Fireworm and didn't want it, I'd gladly take it and keep it in my fuge.

Back
Top Bottom