tank glass getting dirty is it algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pairenoid

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a lot of white specs on it, i read they are cope pods, no point in showing a picture because the camera cant zoom in on something really small

along with the white spec bloom, i have brownish algae on my front tank

how do i get rid of it, will it go away on its own or do i scrape it, i have a tiger conch and 2 snails but they dont seem to be cleaning it

it makes looking through the center glass blurry
img_2248972_0_24c87ef4474177e410cd23c91c47b053.jpg

here is a pic to show some of the white stuff anyways, but notice how blurry it is

i actually have seen 2 baby snails crawl around, one was pure white and got eaten, the other had a browner tint to the shell but havent seen it since, the size of my sand basically

i scrapped some off to see what happens and the brown stuff and white specs came off real easily, im going to leave them and see what happens though. BTW the specs showed up last week and ive seen a bit more since then, but they dont really move at all or grow

the ones in the front of my glass are even turning brown

I really doubt they are copods, do they move around? Try spiroid worms, limpits. The brown is likely algae and a mag float of scraper will take care of it

I've had these on my tank and they are copepods and the brown is diatoms its a kind of algae and the copepods are feeding off it when the diatoms are gone the copepods will too

I've had these on my tank and they are copepods and the brown is diatoms its a kind of algae and the copepods are feeding off it when the diatoms are gone the copepods will too

Disagree you would not even see a hint of a copod on the pic. The speck are way to big to be a copod

i admit the specs are pretty big, they are not dots they are vertical lines, and there are many of them on every side of my tank

so the diatoms will go away correct on their own? i was worried it was from my tap water

ive been running maybe 3 months? not sure, but my diatoms on my rocks started appearing a month ago, maybe 2 weeks ago for my glass

Try not to use tap water. Usually if I'm not mistaken, diatoms show up during a cycle.... But have someone confirm that. As for the specs, try googling hydroids. There's 4 or 5 stages. They also come during a cycle. Do you have fish in your tank?

You`ll have dusty conditions on your glass as well as the start of coralline algea all of your tanks life. I have to run a glass magnet every few days for 14 + yrs now.

i have 1 midas and a clownfish passed away ~1.5 weeks ago. I had the clownfish the longest. I just added a ywg. I used tap water exclusively for my cycle, and bought 10 gallons of ro water ive been using for PWC. I only used tap water for top off, but im heading to walmart right now to buy distilled water. I am also in the process of buying a ro unit so i can no longer worry about these issues =/

i noticed i am getting more of the white stuff, and some of them are getting pretty big

they look like white specs, and then have some kind of fork shape coming out. Should i just scrape all the algae and white stuff? i have a scraper but dont want to interefere with a tanks natural thing

Be cautious of distilled water, some use copper tubing for distilling the water and I noticed you had a few corals. Copper is not their friend. As for the specs and film, I too get a film that I run the magnet pad over about every other day and I have a lot of white specs that I believe are colonista snails

i have great value distilled from walmart, i did a good amount of googling to find lots of success on that brand, and i just added half a gallon of it to top off.

if i see any bad algae or slime i will immediately stop using it and just throw it away

If you're using Walmart water, get the "drinking water" it'll say made with reverse osmosis. It's better than distiller. It has a green cap.

ah to late i bought 3 gallons of the purple one :(, i think it will be fine though

so i noticed the things are growing more and it looks like the same type of sponge that is on my rocks? its like a white sponge with white stuff coming out of it, the pineapple sponge

i think ill scrape them off

Back
Top Bottom