Tank looks yellow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superdave07

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank is 5 days old and every day it looks more and more yellow, it's not the bulbs because I shine a flash light inside the tank and see the color still. I have 48lb of Fiji live rock shipped to me, the rock was rapped with wet newspaper so I don't know if its from that I didn't clean the rock before I also added 40 lb of live sand what can it be?

image-1461123489.jpg

image-1707114904.jpg

Whenever u order in live rock, it will have some "die off" You will be doing a water change in the next couple days correct?

200 gallon reef said:
Whenever u order in live rock, it will have some "die off" You will be doing a water change in the next couple days correct?

Yes it's been 5 days, should I wait to do it, is that why the tank is yellow from the die off?

When a tank is first cycling there will be some odd things with the tank. I would do a 10 to15 % water change this weekend. after that you should see a difference.

200 gallon reef said:
When a tank is first cycling there will be some odd things with the tank. I would do a 10 to15 % water change this weekend. after that you should see a difference.

Ok thanks ill try that

I would not change any water, as you have to cycle that rock. Leave the lights off and cycle the tank for a few weeks. When your ammonia and nitrite are undetectable, then you can do a water change.

mr_X said:
I would not change any water, as you have to cycle that rock. Leave the lights off and cycle the tank for a few weeks. When your ammonia and nitrite are undetectable, then you can do a water change.

Is the yellow something normal that happens?

Things are decomposing on that rock that didn't make the trip. That's what's turning the water yellowish, as 200 gallon reef stated above. You are creating a bacteria colony that is eventually going to sustain your tank, and that yellow, nutrient rich water, is necessary.

mr_X said:
Things are decomposing on that rock that didn't make the trip. That's what's turning the water yellowish, as 200 gallon reef stated above. You are creating a bacteria colony that is eventually going to sustain your tank, and that yellow, nutrient rich water, is necessary.

Thanks mr x just want to hear it from you, do I add carbon or bio chem?

You shouldn't need to add anything. I would leave the lights off though, because nutrient rich water and light is a great combination for nuisance algae to bloom.

mr_X said:
You shouldn't need to add anything. I would leave the lights off though, because nutrient rich water and light is a great combination for nuisance algae to bloom.

Ok mr ill leave it for now, thanks for your reply

My tank did the same thing, turnt yellow the first week. I left mine for 3 months to cycle without doing a water change, give the tank time to cycle and for all the parameters to calm down.

Terryc said:
My tank did the same thing, turnt yellow the first week. I left mine for 3 months to cycle without doing a water change, give the tank time to cycle and for all the parameters to calm down.

Ok I think that's what I'll do, thanks for the reply

Back
Top Bottom