The attack of the OCTO CRAB - can anyone ID this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snapcrackler

Aquarium Advice Addict
This thing is a hitchhiker on this piece of keys rock, he can suck all the way into the rock at will, but he has never changed location.

Facts:

8 tentacles.

2 shorter "assisting" tentacle things that squeegee the larger tentacles when it eats.

Tentacles are spiny and brushy and appear to be filter type tentacles.

It leaves the tentacles out to filter awhile, then crams each tentacle all the way into it's mouth, and then back out again.

Anyone have any ideas on this crazy thing? Approx size tip to tip is maybe 1 1/2 across when fully extended.

Thanks in advance.

LOL i just saw one of those in my tank the other day.. It was pretty interesting to watch.. He pulls one are/tenticle in at a time.. Has about 6 of them that I saw.. Very interesting.. I thought it might have been something stuck in the rock until I saw that the arms were getting pulled in one by one in a rotating method.. Gotta stick around for this one...

James

That would be it! I'm glad someone else out there has seen one..

Yep, my critter doesn't always have all the legs out either.. sometimes it has 5,6,7,or 8 out at a time... the legs seem to be able to "compress" back into the base when they are not in use. :)

Now we're both wondering! :D

Not 100% sure by the pic but it looks like the feeding tentacles from a cucumber or sea apple mabye?

Cheers
Steve

snapcrackler said:
so if it's an apple or a cuke it's going to have to eventually grow too big for it's hole in the rock and will have to move out?
It should eventually move. If a cuke, they are quite adept at getting in and out of small spaces. The sea apple might be a problem but from the plume coloration, I'd be more inlined to think it's a cuke.

Have you tried checking at night some time after the light have been off a bit to see if it comes out?

Cheers
Steve

I checked mine last night and It wasn't out.. The feeders were but nothing else.. Snap is at least able to see some of it. All I can see is the Feeders.. I know my LR came from the Keys and I don't Recal Sea Apples being from the Keys.. If Anything I would say that Its a Cuke.. Whatever it is its kind of interesting.. I do know that Cukes come from the Keys so that would be my guess..

James

I think Its been id'd now.. Looks like an Exact match.. Did you get your LR from Liverocks.com??? kinda crazy how sensitive those creatures are and how they can survive a transport like they did lol..

James

(edited to add response to CJ)

Yes CJ I sure did get it from liverocks.com...

another 30lbs of coral rock coming in 2 days, too.

MYSTERY SOLVED! :D

steve-s said:
Have you tried checking at night some time after the light have been off a bit to see if it comes out?

I will do just that.... :)

Thanks everyone for your time on this one.. I have been wondering what it is for weeks.

Back
Top Bottom