Thin white worn / tenticules like things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattyj33

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys i have been reading advise on your forum for a few months now, ever since i started to introduce coral into my tank. However i cant find an answer to this so thought i would ask and hope someone can help.

Over the last few days i have started to notice what i can only describe as thin white worm / tenticule like things, which seem to come out of tubes that have developed in the sand.
They look very similar to a tenticule that comes out of the roots of my leather coral (cathedral).

I was wondering if these things are the coral spreading or weather they are an actual worm? If a worn are they a problem?

thanks in advance

matt

I clicked on the link and there is a picture of spionid worms and these look alot like the things i have in my tank. Are these good or bad?

Sounds good in small numbers but not so good if they start to spread, so i have jumped up and found 4 of the little buggers in my tank. i can live with 4 but anymore i think i will have to remove some.

Thanks for you help.

Whilst i have your help, i have a duncan coral that was doing great until a month ago and now it doesnt open fully. I have checked all the levels and everything seems fine. Any ideas?

Thank

What kind of light are you running? A link to the product would be best.. or specific stats on the fixture would be good too.

I thought someone would ask about lighting. I am not 100% sure. They are tube lighting that came with my aquaone tank. I have replaced the tubes with 2 x 14K natural light tubes, which my local store told me was ok for the coral, but i am personally not so sure.
When you say stat on the fixture what exactly do you mean.

What i mean, is how long is the fixture, how many bulbs does it run, how many watts are each of the bulbs, does the fixture have one large reflector or separate reflectors for each bulb. Are the lights PC, T5, VHO's, Metal Halides.. Stuff like that could help us out more..

Alright lets see if we can't figure out what types of lights you running. Can you give me the exact name or model of the aquaone tank that you bought? Also, what size tank is it, and could you give us the dimensions?

Sorry i am new to all this, i have kept fish only for years and had no problems but once i have intruduced coral it all seem to be a lot more complicated.
The unit is an aquaone AL-20D with 2 tubes, there is one reflector in the unit. the 2 replacement tubes are arcadia 14k marine white tubes, 24" long. The tank is aquaone, holds approx 200 litres. 80x70x40cm.
I have no idea weather the lights are T5, pc or anyother thing, sorry

Well, your tank is 52 gallons.. and those bulbs are each 20watts and look like standard Normal Output fluorescent bulbs.

Uhm.. for the dimensions, are those dimensions formatted in LengthxWidthxHieght? If so.. then your tank is around 15 inches high.. So assuming that those bulbs are just standard fluorescent bulbs.. and only 20watts each.. i would say that you just don't have enough light to support those duncans. Let alone any coral. I don't think there are any corals that can be supported under Normal Output lights. Usually those bulbs are just for keeping the tank lit. Also, if those lights are by any remote chance PC bulbs, i still don't think 40watts over 15 inches of water will allow you to keep much. Definitely not those duncans. Sorry to say.. :(

If you want to support any types of coral, you are going to need to purchase a new lighting solution. PC, T5, VHO, and Metal Halides are all lights that can support coral, so you should look in to those types of lights.

I thought so! Could you suggest the next step for me? Make and model of a new lighting system?

Thanks for the help, i will look into it and my next present to myself will be a new lighting system

One thing you might want to consider though is the heat from these lights. Metal Halides are like the sun in the light they provide, and also in the heat. :)

Yeah that is true as well. T5 lights don't really produce that much heat, because when i was running a 48" Nova Extreme Pro, the temperature in my tank didn't even raise a single degree, and the fixture was only 5 inches above the water.

However, this is a totally different story for Halides. Like Mitch said, these produce a good deal of heat, so running a fan across the top of your tank will bring the temperature down a couple degrees.

To give you a better example of what we mean by fans, look at this:
fans.jpg

I think for now i will go for a T5, i wont have to worry about fans and heat. Role on pay day then i can upgrade.
Thanks to everyone for your advise

That's a nice fan set-up. Was that yours?

I wish.. I don't even have a tank to put that fan on lol. Besides, that fan system is like $230.. so i wouldn't even think of paying that much for 5 fans when i could easily DIY something like that for $40 total. I have lots of heatsinks and computer fans laying around since i work with computers.. all the time. Wouldn't even be that hard either. Still, the design of that fan is pretty good. If anything.. i would copy that design.

Back
Top Bottom