Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-11-2004, 07:50 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
Things on my clowns, not ick: Identified isopods

Theres 2 on one fish and one on the other. It looks like they have eyes.
Anyone got any idea?
here's a couple pictures

Jim

Old 02-11-2004, 10:37 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Uh-oh... it looks like you have cirolanid isopods... a parasitic isopod that feeds on the blood/flesh of fish. Check out this article on them by Keith Clarke and Ron Shimek... http://www.reefs.org/library/article/clarke_shimek.html

They are nasty little things...

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." - Dennis Wholey
kreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 10:48 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
I just read that article. These isopods just appeared this morning. How would one go about removing them? I read that it said use forceps. But does that mean that I should catch the fish in a net and remove them like that? How hard are they to get off? Do they leave any damage behind?

I think it's odd that none of my other fish caught any in the past few weeks and then after one night in the tank, both of the clowns have them. They were not there when I bought them. I did examine the fish carefully.

Jim
Old 02-11-2004, 11:55 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have never dealt with these parasites personally, so I have no experience with how hard they may be to remove or what kind of damage they leave behind.

The isopods likely hitchhiked in on a piece of live rock or coral...

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." - Dennis Wholey
kreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 02:15 PM   #5
cj10488

I would so a quick FW dip.. They should fal off really quick.. I had black ick at one point in time and the black spots fell off so quick when i did a FW dip and I havent seen them since.. That was 6 months ago.. However if they return after a dip i dont know if the same rules apply as in Ich.. If doing a FW dip make sure the temp and pH are as close to being matched as possible.. Baking soda should be ok to use to match the pH.. Watch your fish for Severe signs of stress.. just an FYI I have never left my fish in a FW dip for more than a min or 2.. I would watch them and as soon as you see the spots drop off pull them out and place them back into the tank..

HTH<
James
Old 02-11-2004, 02:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

well, i went home during lunch to check on them, and the isopods were gone. Probably went back into the sand from wence they came. I'm going to have a FW dip ready tonight for tomorrow morning just in case they return. If not, I'm going to pretend that they're all dead unless they rear theier nonexistant heads again.

Jim
Old 02-11-2004, 04:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

They typically leave the fish during the day and come back to feed at night. You need to catch the fish and remove the parasites before they begin to reproduce in large numbers.
Terry B

Terry B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clown, clowns, ick, isopods

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com