Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-19-2003, 11:29 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

In case you did not notice, MantisFreak knows a thing or two about weapon-carrying shrimps.

The first thing that people say when they are at your house is probably this: "What's that snapping noise"?

MF, thank you for the excellent and very cool information.

Old 11-19-2003, 11:37 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

LOL----that's the first thing they say after, "get your stupid labrador's to leave me alone".

MantisFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 01:19 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Wow Mantisfreak! Thanks for the detailed information! You could write books
I am so glad I discovered this forum, No matter what question you ask, someone allways has the answer and is nice enough to share it with you.
Thanks again!
Zero

Why Settle For The Lesser Evil! Vote Cthulhu!

Live in Nevada? Visit the Nevada Regional Forum at http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewfo...dcb6a37297e562
CountZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 10:57 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Update:

A whole lotta snappin goin on , not only do I have a pistol, but I have since caught another (#2) mantis and have also spotted a little 3/4" (#3) mantis in another little piece of LR. How many fricken snapping creatures do I have?!?!

I have started to appreciate my little mantis friends, I moved the bigger on to my 10g fuge to feed him separately until he gets big enough to blow out the 10g tank glass , and the other little 3/4" main tank guy just hangs out in his little hole and drags silversides in to eat when I feed him.

Jeanene is revolted by them LOL!!!

Mike from liverocks.com always keeps a couple in one of his main tanks and feeds them by hand. I just talked to him again yesterday. Very interesting conversations with that guy I must say.. knows a lot about live rocks and critters too.. when they dive for rocks he says the little mantises will end up on the deck of the boat and they just jostle them in their hands and toss them back overboard, occasionally they will get snapped, but not snapped too bad as long as they don't give the shrimp any good leverage points. Heh!
Old 12-02-2003, 02:12 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
I"m starting to think I have more than just my 1 pistol shrimp I found. I hear snapping all the time but I can never find anything. I"ve looked and looked, when the lights are on, when they're off but I cannot find anything. I've never even seen my pistol shrimp since I've added him to my tank a few weeks ago.
Old 12-02-2003, 06:17 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hehe.. I will bet you a dollar you have more than one of something... I never saw anything either until, within 2 days of eachother I saw the 2 additional mantises.

Try this: Don't feed the tank for a couple of days, and then drop something really meaty in throughout the tank and watch really quietly, sitting in front of the tank and not moving. Your snappers will smell the food and start peeking out looking for it. That's how I saw my little guys.

Hope you find your snappers!

Tags
pistol, pistol shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com