Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2003, 11:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Think I got myself a pistol shrimp for free!!

Found this guy in some of my LR today when I was adding it to my display tank. I"m pretty sure he's a pistol but I can't figure out what kind, has blue legs? Funny because I've just been posting about how I want a pistol shrimp I hope my CBS doesn't mess with him, he's tiny.

Anybody know why type of snail this is, it has really neat red foot. I found two of them so far but have never seen them to buy anywhere?

Old 11-15-2003, 03:04 PM   #2
cj10488

That is a Pistol srimp.. You got your LR from LiveRocks.com I am guessing.. I have one that looks Identical.. From My personal opinion I ID'd the sucker as a Blue Legged Pistol Shrimp.. I have a mated pair in my tank though..

Congrats on the find.. Mine Has been ok in my tank however I believe it might have had something to do with my clam death..

HTH<
James
Old 11-15-2003, 03:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep got it from liverocks.com. They really are an amazing company, I have to post my entire experiece of what happened, guess I should post it in the vendor forum?

I'm happy I found this little guy, right when I was going to go buy one
Old 11-15-2003, 03:41 PM   #4
cj10488

LOL may I ask how you caught yours.. I have been trying to catch my pair for about 3 months now with no luck.. Used traps and everything..

James
Old 11-15-2003, 03:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

It was actully swimming around in the bottom of my rubbermaid tub when I was transfering the rock to my display tank. Are you trying to remove them from your tank? I don't have any corals or clams or anything yet but I know how difficult it will be catch problem makers later on so....
Old 11-15-2003, 03:54 PM   #6
cj10488

Yes I have been trying to remove them from the tank with about 100# of LR in a 55gal.. Man Is It hard.. Lol I am just mearly tring to remove them as I dont like being woke up in the middle of the night to LOUD pop pop noises..

James
Old 11-17-2003, 01:01 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Zack
Very nice grab there jamal! Most do very well in tanks as min has not bothered any of my clams.
Zack
Old 11-17-2003, 10:53 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

AHA!!!!!!!

Mystery solved!!!!

I am glad you posted that.......

I got LR from liverocks.com too (awesome rock) and here's what happened to me:

1. Got rock, found a mantis in the box that had jumped out and QTed him.
2. Negated the FW dip because I didn't want to hurt anything.
3. Put all of the rock in the tank and skimmed, worked out great.
4. Kept hearing SNAP SNAP SNAP snap snap snap, snap snap SNAP every day.
5. Pulled every single rock BACK OUT and performed a freshwater dip, looking for a mantis shrimp.

Well lo and behold, NO mantis came out, but I did see a bright red "baby lobster" thing that shot out, I quickly put him back in the tank.

My baby lobster ain't no lobster, it matches your pic exactly..

And I still hear snap snap snap every day so he must have survived the dip just fine. He snaps a lot during feeding times, and also snaps and pops sometimes and little clouds of rock shoot out, so I know where he's at.

I'm gonna keep him because the tank is downstairs and we sleep upstairs so he can't wake us up.

THANKS for posting that pic!!!!
Old 11-18-2003, 08:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

What causes the snap? Does he click his claws or something?
Zero

Why Settle For The Lesser Evil! Vote Cthulhu!

Live in Nevada? Visit the Nevada Regional Forum at http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewfo...dcb6a37297e562
CountZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 09:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

They snap their big claw together so fast that it creates an underwater air bubble (cavitation). My pistol was named Butch Cassidy and his yellow watchman was named The Sundance Kid. I could swear one of my fish was throwing rocks at my glass.

Pistols are from the family Alpheidae

Even though there are a number of different members, they all make the same noise, a sound similar to a pistol. Most are very small, less than 2 inches (4 cm) or less in body length. They are nocturnal, usually hiding during the day under a rock until dusk. At night they come out and search for food and use the large claw to either scare away intruders or shock/stun other mealtime small crustaceans. Usually come in on live rock and the only way you'll ever know one is in your aquarium is by hearing these single shot sounds, probably when you are trying to sleep! Some live in a symbiotic relationship with watchman gobies. (The proper term is mutualism and not symbionism but most people have never heard of mutualism).

MantisFreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pistol, pistol shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com