Thinking it is hair algae??????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SassyAngel111

Aquarium Advice Activist
I think I have an outbreak of hair algae? Could someone please chime in and tell me that I am wrong. If it is hair algae how would I get rid of it my nitrates is only 10
ammonia 0
nitrites 0
phos 0
sal 1.24
lights are on about 9 hrs a day, tank is not sitting in front of a window ( i know this is a big no no)
I just did a 50% change about 2 wks ago using ro/di water
tank is a 30gal.
lights compact 65w
:roll:

ok thanks for the link Lisa> Now for the hunt of fresh macro to add to the tank, since I usally do a water change about every two weeks, but I think it was from haveing my lights on 10 to 11 hours a day from when they were only on for about 7 to 8 hours before and no outbreak of hair algae. So I have reduced the time that my lights are on and will be doing a 50 % wc this weekend. Thanks for the replys.

I would suggest for just a month that you do weekly PWC`s. This will help more than just one big PWC. Just do a 15-20% PWC every week and you`ll see the excessive nutrients drop and the hair algea leaving. I would manually take the hair algea you have in the tank out by pulling it or drawing it out by a siphon hose. I have done weekly PWC`s as long as I`ve had my tank with the last seven yrs algea free. JME

I will sart with the 15-20% pwc every week and manually remove the hair algea.

One other thing I am useing ro/di for my wc but the TDS is still around 78ppm and the filters are new maybe a month old, my question is would running a canister filter with carbon help at all, as I don't have room for a refugium?

TIA

Back
Top Bottom