This is Aptasia isn't it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbing27

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm pretty sure this is aptasia but I want to be sure. I realize I'm a newbie, but I feel really stupid that I've been admiring these "polyps" for a couple of weeks, when I should have done a little research instead.
Aptasia5.jpg
Also these brown fuzzy areas have popped up recently. Is this what aptasia looks like at first?
Aptasia4.jpg
I've a diabetic friend who will give me a syringe so I can inject these critters with a drop of lemon juice. I read where this will take them out in a matter of minutes. I don't think this method will work on that stuff in the second photo. I'd appreciate it if you folks with more experience would help me ID these things. Also any suggestions about dealing with these things in the early stages would be appreciated as well.

First picture you are correct. The second is probably diatom algae. cant really tell from the picture. If it is it is just part of the cycle.

I have no first hand experience with aiptasia, but looking at the picture full size, that doesn't look like aiptasia to me. The tentacles look like they are larger at the tips, and narrow close to the body.

It also looks very uniform in colour, where aiptasia I've seen look almost striped or banded.

that looks like a manjano anemone to me i would get rid of it one of the lsf in my area has a tank full of those.

I looked at it in the dark with a flashlight early this morning and the tentacles were extended 3 or 4 times as far as they are in daylight. I don't know if that means anything. Hey if these guys aren't a problem, I'll let them be. I just don't want 500 of them and having them killing everything in my tank. Should I get rid of them?

yes get rid of it, those will spread fast and if you have coral it will be a problem

and the stuff in the second picture if you touch and it retracts its aptasia

Indeed manjo will spread almost as fast as aptasia, and is harder to kill from all I've seen - nuke it while you can.

OK the deed is done. 5 units of white vinegar injected into each one with an insulin syringe did the trick. After researching majano anenomes online, it appears thats what it was. The important thing is my clown, gobie, jawfish, chromis, peppermint shrimp, hermits, and snails seem totally unaffected. My water quality is still fine except my ph jumped a little--as expected. A partial water change will rectify that I'm sure. If any of these guys shows up in the future or if I'm ever actually striken with the dreaded Aptasia, I now know they can be dealt with with relative ease. Thanks again folks.:D

Back
Top Bottom