This is fun!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, we are starting to see more and more little "wonder what it is"'s on the live rock. We have identified 3 baby feather dusters, what we think is some teeny mushroom corals and of course, the aiptasia (made me sad to have to boil em out though).

Now there is something that I don't have a clue, I am sure that there will be many more. Anyway, the best reference I can think of would be a thin piece of rice noodle that elongates and gets thin as it comes out of the hole, kind of like a white wormy thing stretching out. It has a little opening at the end that it seems to be eating from....

Any ideas?

What Reefrunner said... :)

Gan you give us a sense of size like length out of the hole and width?

Geez, you mean my description of a chinese rice noodle isnt quite descriptive enough :)
anyway, the hole was about the size of a straight pin head, it would come out ...erm....almost an inch, would really really thin out as it stretched. I would say that the thickness was about the size of a raw grain of white rice. It was opaque white in color. The very tip seemed to be searching around for stuff.

was able to get a few horrid pics of it

Hard to tell from the pic but I still guess a peanut worm. Peanut worms usually have concentric stripes on the length of the body. They are extemely light sensitive. Shining a flashlight on them in the dark makes them retract. When they retract, they "fold in on themselves". Think of a shirt sleeve that you pull your arm out of, that's sort of how they work.
Since you have seen it up close and know in etail what it looks like, I suugest you have a go with Ron Shimeks critter identification Dichotomous Key. It steps you through an identification process that works pretty good. http://www.rshimek.com/Invertebrate Key to Major Taxa.htm

Good luck,
Mark

Back
Top Bottom