Thought a mushroom showed up...what is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sniperhank

Giant Clam Addict
I looked in my tank today and found this thing near my other mushrooms. Thought a blue mushroom grew out of one of the rocks. No biggie. I find it had moved up the rock alittle bit ago...it was still moving...with legs... I poked it. It has a mouth in the center of it.

img_2220805_0_49ac5699aacb35cf376266bf0017cb70.jpg

img_2220805_1_9767a7ed096fb752e8534d9cf2e3640e.jpg

Sadly that isn't it. Mine is flat and round. I hope it isn't a nudi like no else. I'll have to look hard and hope I'm not missing any mushrooms...which is where it appeared.

A nudibranch. Very specific dieted invert, a sea slug basically. Many eat things you like to keep, monti's and zoas most commonly. One type on the market eats hair algae and is the only one I'm aware of that you'd want. They almost always look exactly like what they will eat and blend in easily. I've had 2 that ate my blue symphodium that it took forever for me to find and remove.

Have once again done battle with this thing. Still not out of the tank as I couldn't get at it. But I hope it enjoyed the toothbrush to the back that caused my fire shrimp to go ballistic on its back.

I GOT IT! It is def a nudibranch. I spent half an hour atleast watching it...had to pry it out with an aiptasia-x needle. It was on there good...Actually wondering what it was eating. It did not want to let go of this area of rock it was on...what I thought was rock. It turned out to be a pocket of dead money plant I must have missed when cleaning the rock when I first got it that the nudi appeared to be eating as well. Now resides in my FOWLR setup.

So I have 2 nudis both different color and neither one go after my coral. I've always had them and never have had corals be eaten so just cause you have them doesn't always mean they are bad. Just like fish I think each one is a hit and miss as in you never know what they are gonna eat unless you see damage from them.

It is, but an unknown type of animal that is known to eat corals with specific types within their family. Just being cautious, so it has been relocated into my FOWLR system.

Back
Top Bottom