thread-like red things?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dianeww

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This past weekend, we discovered a cluster of thread-like red filaments waving around in the water, based in the sand. This doesn't look like the little red worms you see against the glass under the sand. They are all in one unit, each is about one inch or more (or less, they're all different). and they retract quickly when disturbed. They are VERY fine and thready, and almost appear segmented (miniscule little "dots" along their length). Also they (it?) will blow away to a new location in the sand with big current. Sorry can't get a picture. I should work on my photo skills.

The way you describe the animal it sounds like a spaghetti. Each single worm has multiple tentacles that extend outwards sweeping for food particles. Do a google image search and see it they match up. If not, please post a pic.

Chers
Steve

Yes, thanks to you Steve and Fluff, and that's the right picture, Fluff. The description sounds to me like they're attached to rock or something, but mine isn't really attached, just half buried in ther sand.

Back
Top Bottom