tiny specks on glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barracuda

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have these tiny specks on the glass, they are reddish or pink and have what looks like arms coming out of them, varying form 5 to 8. I haven't noticed them moving but haven't watched them all that long, but they do seem to be increasing in number. the tank is a new set up with 50 lbs of live rock dsb and 1 occelaris clown. all water parameters are good.

not spiral in shape, they are round with what looks like several little arms, although after watching them I haven't noticed them moving. They just seem to be stuck to the glass.

thanks once again steve, that's exactly what they are. one of the pics looks like it was taken in my tank. are they dangerous? nuisance? or good? If they are dangerous or a nuisance is there a way to get rid of them?

Typically the free moving hydroids don't usually last that long. They may reproduce for a short spurt but will often die off just as quickly. They do have nematocsyst but are rarely a concern and feed primarily on algaes. The ones you need to worry about are the sedentary polyp kind. They have very powerful nematocysts and can spread quite quickly. The main concern with those is they irritate corals to the point of a quick death...

Cheers
Steve

ok, the type I have are in the furthest left pic in the "tiny dots with legs" section. Do I need to worry about them, is there something that will eat or kill them? Thanks again!

Not much to be concerned about with those. They probabley won't last more than a few months and they primarily stay on hard surfaces or algaes.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom