Tiny starfish ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moo33284

Aquarium Advice Activist
This guy came with button polyps...actually two of them. I've seen them on site before but can't remember what they are. Will they mess with anything? Only about the size of my thumb nail.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120829_231527.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120829_231527.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 118
  • ForumRunner_20120829_231601.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120829_231601.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 130
  • ForumRunner_20120829_231609.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120829_231609.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 121
its an astrina star it can est zoas but ive never seen them do it. They reproduce really fast so if you dont want a bunch of them remove it.

Will they get to a crazy proportion? I'd like to leave it unless they'll be like fifty our some crazy number...guess I should just put it in my sump

That's what I'm thinking... I mean even if the get out of control they'll eventually run out of food and numbers will decrease...right? I won't worry about them. He seemed to just be eating algae so that works for me! Thanks for the input!

I just got some on a piece of live rock, I was excited when I found out they are ok. They were free little stars :) does anyone know if they are resilient, my tank has only been up and running for about three months.

Mine has only been up for about half of the time as yours and I still see the two every now and then at night. One even looks like he dropped a leg, which I believe is how they reproduce. I think they should be alright a long as they have food to eat.

I have prolly hundreds in mine. Only see them on glass in on top of sand rarely see them on my rock completely harmless.

Mine are still on the rock they hitch hiked in on, is there a way to move some to my glass or should I just hope and wait. I would love them helping in the effort to clean my glass.

Convict2161 said:
My harlequin loves them!

Awesome picture! I'm hoping mine will reproduce. Still just see the two, one of them missing a leg. Hopefully the dropped leg will grow out. Convict do you drop them in on purpose for him or did they hitchhike?

moo33284 said:
Awesome picture! I'm hoping mine will reproduce. Still just see the two, one of them missing a leg. Hopefully the dropped leg will grow out. Convict do you drop them in on purpose for him or did they hitchhike?

They just pop up. When I see her out and about I go get a chocolate chip star fish and feed that to her. It's awesome to watch her attack it an drag it into her hideout.

Ericwm said:
Mine are still on the rock they hitch hiked in on, is there a way to move some to my glass or should I just hope and wait. I would love them helping in the effort to clean my glass.

I decided to just try and move one to my glass. He seems to be ok, I hope he finds enough food on it. I guess I will now in a few weeks.

image-1064656852.jpg

I haven't seen mine in a while. I'm sure he'll be fine. They are so small I can't imagine they'd need to eat a lot. I hope mine are still around. Did yours only come out at night?

I have about ten that came on my rock with my zoas and I was thrilled when I found them. They never left the rock but I could hardly see them which is why I moved one to my glass. If he lives I will move more.

image-2610286747.jpg

image-1904930011.jpg

Thanks, It is a 29 gallon and I have only had it up for 3 months. I was thrilled when I saw the zoas at my LFS last week. I was even happier when I got it in my tank and had some little stars and found out they are not bad for a tank. I hope yours are ok, what size is your tank.

Back
Top Bottom