Trying to ID this fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScooterNH

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Have been searching everywhere but can't ID this guy. Have found a few 'similar' looking fish, but nothing positively matching.

http://homepage.mac.com/slaman/Aquarium/PhotoAlbum23.html

He seems to have traits of leaf scorpionfish - especially the shape of his head. Though I've seen movie clips and he does not move the same.
His body is also more elongated and similar to many goby.

The head crest looks similar to leaf wrasse.

He has spindly looking fins that he 'walks' (bipedal not hopping like a blenny) and climbs with. But Not sturdy leg/fins like a frogfish.

Mouth is definitely ambush predator. (and he likes feeder guppies and brine shrimp). He's currently 2" or so.

Looking for any info or opinions.

Thanks

Sorry, Scooter - I thought for sure someone on this forum would know. :(

I'm glad you were able to get more pics posted. :)

Fluff - any ideas? I recommended Scooter to Aquarium Advice, 'cause I thought for sure, if anyone knows, you'd know what this is. :wink:

lol Thanks Gina but you give me to much credit. It hasn't been so long since I've seen one of these but for the life of me can't remember the name. I'll try to find it but if I have to make a guess, I believe it's a wrasse. Simular to the dragon wrasse. I'll do some searching and try to find out for sure.

Ya, I thought it was like a dragon wrasse too, because I used to have one in my 55gal, but it has a very large mouth and doesn't swim like a wrasse. Scooter said it sits in ambush. On another forum, NO one could figure it out either. The suggestions spanned the ocean.

Your right, the mouth is wrong for a wrasse. I was thinking the behavior sounded like hawkfish behavior but I'm finding nothing. I know this exact fish was posted and ID'd on here not long ago but I haven't been able to find the post. I'll post back if I find anything.

localhost said:
I am no help, but that is one freaky looking fish. Where did you get him from?
He had said he got him from Petco of all places.

Back
Top Bottom