Tube critters on my rock!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norefer4me

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have beautiful live rock in my 20 gal. nano. About two months ago I rearranged my rock and a rock that was close to the bottom is now on top. I noticed two large tubes coming out of the rock. Inside the tubes I can sometimes see a little critter with little tentacles. They send out this spider web like stuff, obviously to catch food. Now I see two more small ones on a frog spawn frag I recently bought. What are they and will they harm anything? Can/should I kill them? How?

Can post pictures tonight when I get home!

OK!! Looked in Hitchhiker FAQ and know they are Vermatid Gastropods.

OK on my rock but I don't like them on my frogspawn. They make a mess! Should I get rid of them? How?

norefer4me said:
OK on my rock but I don't like them on my frogspawn. They make a mess! Should I get rid of them? How?
You can get rid of them easily enough, they simpley snap off. Just be absolutely sure that's what they are. As the frogspawn grows, it will develope new polyp heads that will look very much like a small vermetid snail. You won't be able to tell until the bud gets about ¼-½" in size.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the feedback!!!!!!!! Very sure!! I saw the mucas strands coming out of the tube. Also both tubes had a curl to them.

Could you elaberate on what it looks like when the frogspawn branches.

norefer4me said:
Could you elaberate on what it looks like when the frogspawn branches.
See the circled area in the attached pic.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom